1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress?? 3 again - but not in every category

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by msloops, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Last term I got a 'may not pass' on my assessment despite getting 3 (satisfactory) on all my observations.
    I just had another obs from the deputy head and got a 3 (of course). Last time he observed me I got 3 in every category, but this time I got 2s for behavoiur and planning, both of which are areas I'm working on as my targets.
    Is this observation evidence of progress because of the improvement in behaviour and planning or does it just show that I'm still not very good? There were also plenty of negatives on there such as not marking books which is something that was flagged up last time and something I desperately need to sort out (oops).
    Thanks

2. Last term I got a 'may not pass' on my assessment despite getting 3 (satisfactory) on all my observations.
    I just had another obs from the deputy head and got a 3 (of course). Last time he observed me I got 3 in every category, but this time I got 2s for behavoiur and planning, both of which are areas I'm working on as my targets.
    Is this observation evidence of progress because of the improvement in behaviour and planning or does it just show that I'm still not very good? There were also plenty of negatives on there such as not marking books which is something that was flagged up last time and something I desperately need to sort out (oops).
    Thanks

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Its better therefore its improvement so keep at it [​IMG]. Marking is exceptionally important and should be where you next focus your attention, pupils can't know to improve if they don't know where they are going wrong (just as you can't) its a very hard year but you need to set some time aside to get this done, even if its planned into your lessons as peer assessment (depending what you teach this can work well, other subjects not so good)
    Good luck, its still early days, you can do it! xx

4. Hi
    I'm a little confused - if all the indications were satisfactory how did that lead to a 'not making satisfactory progress'? I understand that progreess should be looked at holistically and should not just be based on observations, so I assume that the school, when it indicated not making satisfactory progress pointed out where the problems were, informed thge LA and put in place an action plan with targets to meet and success criterai so that you and they know when you have met the targets.
    If you are now gaining some two's on observations then clearly that is progress and it is all going in the right direction - do check though that the previous issues which caused the assessment to be not satisfactory are now, in the opinion of the school resolved. (e.g. was it the non marking of books which was the main issue?)
    James

5. Thank you. I was a little confused too when I got the 'may not pass' because of my satisfactory observations but I guess they based it on other factors such as informal obs where I didn't get a number and the progress of my classes. They have now contacted the LA and put an action plan in place (but that only happened this term after the assessment.)
    The previous issues are not yet resolved - I've got 3 targets to improve on which are 'teaching engaging and motivating lessons' (so just about everything), behaviour management, and setting homework. I'm setting mini targets each week with my mentor and I think I do need to start asking her, when I meet each one, whether this means that she thinks I'm making satisfactory progress.
    I do understand the importance of marking books. I just find it hard sometimes when I've got so much to do, and when I'm staying in school til 9pm most nights, to motivate myself to do that because if I don't plan a lesson, my day will be a disaster, so I HAVE to do that straight away, whereas if I push back the marking for another day or so the disaster won't come til later... I know it's so so important though and I think i'd have a lot less problems with my classes if i did it better! I'm getting there and most classes now (almost) up to date.

6. Ok a bit clearer, but the school has a duty to inform a NQT about any issues as soon as they arise - not wait until an assessment point.
    If you have a target such as 'teach an engaging and motivating lesson' that's not really a very good SMART target - as an example, if you gave pupils wishy washy targets that were non-specific then they would not be very happy. You would be told to give developmental targets that helped the pupil understand what they had to do to improve.
    So go back to the mentor and ask for that target to be made more explicit - for example what does he/she mean by engaging - If you showed a class a film they may be engaged but may not learn anything. If you offered then a box of chocolates each for writing a 200 word essay in their books they would be motivated - but that's not what the target is about. You need the mentor to provide you with success criteria so that you and he/she knows that you have met the target - so ask what the characteristics of the engaging/motivating lesson are that she/he is looking for - how will this be seen in the plan or thgrough observation? Do they have examples of plans that they have created that will deliver such lessons...
    Remember SMART targets:
    S - specific, significant, stretching
    M - measurable, meaningful, motivational
    A - agreed upon, attainable, achievable, acceptable, action-oriented
    R - realistic, relevant, reasonable, rewarding, results-oriented
    T - time-based, timely, tangible, trackable
    (I've put them all in as I don't know which version of SMART you have come across before.
    I use
    Specific
    Measurable
    Agreed
    Realistic
    Time-based
    James

7. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben New commenter

Oh how those SMART targets remind me of reflective practice during my PGCE.