1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Programming For KS2

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by garethhicks, Apr 29, 2012.

1. garethhicks

garethhicks New commenter

With all the buzz surrounding programming/coding in ICT at the moment I am keen to get involved. However, I have no idea where to start. I thought it might be a good idea to start a small after school club so I could learn along with some kids. Does anyone know of any good starting points?
    Such as:-
    - Programmes?
    - Websites?
    - Schemes of work?
    - Any other resources?

The school would be happy to put some money towards the scheme.

Thanks, Gareth

2. Go to the Scratch website and download it. Then go onto Youtube and search for Scrartch tutorials. Finally, create a free Scratch account on their website and download a few games and look at the code, search the forums and use the Help on the website.

3. garethhicks

garethhicks New commenter

Great stuff. This looks fantastic. I can see myself spending the rest of the evening disappearing!

4. Scratch is great. You could also have a lot of fun playing with Kodu. If you want to go beyond programming into other areas of computing then you could also have a look at cs4fn, csInside and if you have any old computers knocking around the place, try opening one up, disassembling and reassembling.

5. If you're on Twitter then try following @CodeClub. They're planning on writing schemes for KS2 Computing clubs. They have a website but you'll have to Google it as I'm on my iPad and adding links is a pain.