1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

programming club

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by wth101, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Have you thought of using something a bit easier for year 7's such as scratch?
    There are lots of resources out there for this as well.

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

3. Really..... really! You can just say no! Java and Y7s, LOLZ as they would say!

Y7 = fun
    Fun != Java
    While Y7 = True
    {
    Small Basic
    Scratch
    Maybe just maybe greenfoot if you like it
    }

Did I say make it fun? DO all the things you propose but introduce them by stealth, don't just say here we go, reading from an array kids!

4. Hear, hear!!!! FUN is the most essential element if this is to be a successful club! There's Scratch and Kodu as a starting point, maybe a bit of ALICE for more complex stuff, leading into YouSRC - which is WELL WORTH checking out - lots of fun and appealing examples..... and that's when the stealthiness that banagioh suggests will start to creep in - once you have them engaged and having fun....

5. "ROFLCOPTER" [​IMG]

Why not tempt them? Find something impressive and let them play around with it. Maybe even let them compile and run it? One of my Y13's has coded a helicopter scrolling game which would do the job.

Then bring them back down to earth with some early Greenfoot tutorials. MIK's blog (Joy Of Code) is brilliant and highly recommended.

6. Lesson 1 - Multi-threading and Memory
    Lesson 2 - No-one turns up, lunch break for you.

7. My Y7 ICT teacher taught me many valuable lessons in our computer programming club:
    <ol>[*]Always say please.[*]..and always say thank you afterwards - not before.[*]I want never gets.[*]NEVER SHOUT TO GET WHAT YOU WANT![*]The person who is waiting for something to turn up might start with their shirt
    sleeves.[*]One saves oneself much pain, by taking pains; much trouble, by taking trouble.[*]GIGO.</ol>