1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Programme to help low ability writers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by s1oux, Mar 31, 2012.

1. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

I'm in Year 4 for my 3rd year runnng and for the 3rd year, I have a 4 children who struggle with the basics of writing. Whilst the rest of the class are learning about embedded clauses, grabbing the readers' interest and apostrophes, these children still need to focus on writing simple sentences that just. make. sense. Their spelling isn't great but they can get by. What is holding them back is simple sentence structure (where to put full stops) and word order (missing words, incoherent word order etc).
    I differentiate as best I can but, for the Summer term I really think they just need to really focus on the basics.
    so,

Can anyone recommend an intervention programme that they have used and found effective at teaching these basic skills to older children? I have a good TA 4 mornings a week and I want a programme she can work through which would replace their normal literacy lessons. Any ideas?

2. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

I'm in Year 4 for my 3rd year runnng and for the 3rd year, I have a 4 children who struggle with the basics of writing. Whilst the rest of the class are learning about embedded clauses, grabbing the readers' interest and apostrophes, these children still need to focus on writing simple sentences that just. make. sense. Their spelling isn't great but they can get by. What is holding them back is simple sentence structure (where to put full stops) and word order (missing words, incoherent word order etc).
    I differentiate as best I can but, for the Summer term I really think they just need to really focus on the basics.
    so,

Can anyone recommend an intervention programme that they have used and found effective at teaching these basic skills to older children? I have a good TA 4 mornings a week and I want a programme she can work through which would replace their normal literacy lessons. Any ideas?

3. What about Rapid Writing? It can be delivered by a TA and goes from around Level 2/High Level 1 up. I believe there are different books for different levels etc. We have just started using it in Year 2 for some of our 1a writers. We used it last year, but later in the year and saw some promising results. They have used it in KS2 for some time and speak positively about the progress made. It is aimed at KS2.

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I would second Rapid Writing.

5. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Rapid is good if you want to tackle the basics.

6. Another vote for Rapid Writing!