1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Programme for accelerated progress in Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sarah_abrahams, Oct 19, 2015.

1. sarah_abrahams

sarah_abrahams New commenter

We are using Lexia to help children struggling with reading. I was wondering if anyone had any programmes they use that are similar for Maths? Have been recommended Mathletics but thought I would see if there are any others. Thanks

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I hear Maths classes are good for that.

4. carolynhornby

carolynhornby New commenter

We use a programme called Accelerated Maths (AM) which runs alongside Accelerated Reader (AR).

From what I have seen of both areas - the Reader is a lot less fiddly for staff, pupils are competing to read the most words - we've even got word millionaires!

Both programmes have a 'test' to begin with to level the pupils. For AM, you group your pupils (we've chosen red, amber or green depending on their level) and they all work on similar work but tailored to their ability level. This bit is the fiddly part as you have to select work for all the students individually, usually about 10 tasks each time.

The admins (teachers, TAs etc) can view progress and which questions the pupils are getting stuck on. Tests can be done how ever often you choose.

If we have any queries, we just go to the website and have a live chat. You get a transcript of this sent to you afterwards.

Sorry for long answer!