1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Program to make an Android App

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by MichaelDWills, Feb 2, 2012.

1. For next year we are looking to create an app for Androids either for KS3 or possibly KS4 with one of the BTEC Level 2 units.

Does anyone know an easy program they can use to do this???

Thanks

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Not an easy program no. However the SDK is a free download.

3. Google's App Inventor has been closed, but the source code has been given to MIT who are getting it back up and running again (http://appinventoredu.mit.edu/). It's not live yet, but there is a JAR file than you can use (look in the FAQ) to get it up and running if you can host an App Inventor server locally.

4. I find Adobe Flash Builder pretty simple, but use IntelliJ at home (less OO)

5. What is the sdk???

6. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

I've used App Inventor and it's pretty straight forward. You snap together blocks of code like scratch. However, it was an immature product with quite a few gaps that needed work a rounds. I'm not a programmer (nor even an ICT teacher (I teach primary)) and I was able to knock together and upload to the market a simple app in an evening. By the morning it had had 30 downloads! Now it's had 7000 (Fast Ukulele Tuner).

The best way to make Android apps will surely be to wait until MiT take it over. They do a fantastic job with Scratch, and I'm sure they will make App Inventor easier to use and more powerful.

7. Thanks for the reply. Do you use any of the programs at school.

8. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

sdk = Software Development Kit. The fully fledged professional armoury for making Android Apps.

9. Yes, we use Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 at school.

10. Thanks for this.

Downloading the trial version for it now.

I want to use this for unit 8 of the new BTEC first award from September so trying to put everything in place for it now.

11. Can scratch make apps???

12. If you have Dreamweaver CS5.5 then this integrates with the Android SDK to allow you to build apps. I found the 'easy install' option didn't work but if you install the SDK manually and then set the location of the folder and click the Save button it does work (oh, and you have to make sure you've upgraded to the latest version - I think it ends in 5.1)

13. Not really - but you can pretend it does by either:

• Uploading your scratch resources to the scratch website, and using the site's flash player to run them on your android tablet's web browser.
    • Use Chirp to create a standalone .exe you can run on a tablet PC.

14. Cant use Google???

Ive downloaded Flash Builder and this week going to try and follow some tutorials to practise making some apps. Ive used C++ before but would rather use a program to make the apps.

15. We are going to be using App Inventor with Year 9 this summer using the MIT AppInventor service. Right now it's still in closed BETA whilst they make sure the platform is stable enough to go live, which they hope to happen before April.
    http://appinventoredu.mit.edu/
    Luckily I managed to get on the BETA so I'm training our techers/technicians and writing materials now, before unleashing Year 9 on it after Easter.

16. Can you still get any version of Google App Inventor???

17. You could try processing.org. Not too hard to program (FAR easier than the SDK Java-esque stuff), loads of tutorials and you get quick visual results.
    Have a look here http://blog.blprnt.com/blog/blprnt/processing-android-mobile-app-development-made-very-easy