1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

program music??? what would you do?

Discussion in 'Music' started by manuscript2007, Mar 22, 2012.

1. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

HI everyone - on the scrounge again!
    You've got 25 minutes to teach a lesson on 'program music'
    Very open ended. KS3 Y8 or Y9, small class with no SEN issues
    What would you do?

THank you very much for alllllll suggestions....I have gone a bit blank to be honest!

2. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

HI everyone - on the scrounge again!
    You've got 25 minutes to teach a lesson on 'program music'
    Very open ended. KS3 Y8 or Y9, small class with no SEN issues
    What would you do?

THank you very much for alllllll suggestions....I have gone a bit blank to be honest!

3. As this is only 25 minutes I'm guessing it's an interview lesson. I would briefly explain what programme is and then get them to do some practical. Find two pictures with very clear scenes; a boat in a storm, a field in spring, a race of some sort. Get the kids to give suggestions of how they can use the musical elements to describe the picture. Then give them 10 minutes to make some music to describe one of the pictures they want to choose. After that get 2/3 groups to perform and discuss how the music described the scene, whether it was successful and what each group could do next.
    There you go, lesson done. Good luck.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think the practical work is a good suggestion, but since the OP has said in another forum that this is an independent school, I'd try to get in some listening, even if it is short, as part of the explanation of programme music. One of the movements from the orchestral version of Pictures at An Exhibition might do and could tie in with vickieg's suggestion above. It's quite possible that this age group in an independent school will already know well-known examples of programme music (Sorcerer's Apprentice, Little Train of the Caipara, Pacific 231 etc) , so you may be able to link the topic to their prior knowledge.