1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prognosis after bullying?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Pepper78, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

@TheoGriff I desperately need your help
    I'm currently on long term sick leave (stress at work) and that's likely to be the case fur at least the term, having brought a grievance against my head for bullying. I'm painfully aware of the difficulty of proving bullying and the unlikelihood of grievances of any kind being upheld, although I've been advised that I have a good enough case to go to tribunal if need be.
    Assuming I leave with a settlement including agreed reference, what are my chances of getting another teaching post (mainscale would do though I'm currently on slt), especially given the term off sick? I've never had anything like this happen before in 20 years and I have an excellent record in all senses.
    Reading your posts I've convinced myself my career is over even though I know I've done nothing wrong, quite the opposite. Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm in a dark place.

lanokia and drek like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I can't offer any constructive advice but thoughts are with you... you'll be good in the long run!

Keep in mind.... there is a teacher shortage right now...

3. drek

drek Star commenter

Hope you win against all odds. And what Lanokia said. Good luck

mark6243 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, another very sad story. I am so sorry for you. @Pepper78

First of all: your health. You need to get that sorted. Make sure that you are following all the Dr's advice. Every bit of it.

By whom?

By a union that is prepared to support you? Fine. By an Employment Lawyer whose fees are being paid by someone else, insurance company for instance? Also fine, although the union will withdraw their support if this goes ahead.

Anyone else? Not fine. there are people on these forums, and in staffrooms too, who say at the slightest chance You should take them to court/ I think you'd have a case for a tribunal and you should not believe this. they have no idea at all.

The two points to consider are: (a) will you be supported by the right and knowledgeable people? (b) can your health, including mental health, take the strain?

My view is that many Heads (and especially the Heads that you would wish to work for) are now realising that there is something going on in many schools, and that there is out there a pool of good teachers who have been battered into leaving, and just need to re-gain their health to re-gain their skills and confidence.

It will depend a lot on how you word any application; come over to Jobseekers later, when your health has recovered and you are ready to apply, and start a thread there so we can look at that.

Settlement Agreements

Do read that and take on board what i say there.

Overall your employment prospects will be conditioned by the market. What you teach and where you are - or could be - will impact above all on this.

And bearing in mind @lanokia 's point!

Best wishes

P.S. please get an avatar! It makes it easier for me to recognise immediately someone I am "talking" to next time!

Let's get rid of those Little Green Martians!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  5. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Somebody described them as green vicars.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Hi Pepper,
    First priority is to get better. Theo's advice seems sound from my perspective.
    I would spend some time thinking about your priorities for life.
    If you wish to remain teaching, I am sure a well chosen application for main scale will be successful. I am aware of a number of main scale teachers who have stepped back from higher responsibilities for a number of reasons.

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

My union let me have my own solicitor for the legal side and represented me at the grievance hearings. Another poster that is currently going to tribunal also has union support and a solicitor.

It certainly isn't the end of the world. I was employed whilst going through the tribunal process. I let them know before I applied for the job. They spoke to my previous head and also someone in the authority that supported me off record.

My new job was a promotion and my head was fantastic in the personal support that they gave me to get through it. I'm still there several years later and can't imagine ever leaving. The whole environment is totally different. It is difficult to go through, but it will get better.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  8. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

Thanks everyone. Yes it's my union supporting me. I'll see what happens and as Theo suggests I'll go on the job seeking forum when the time comes. Really appreciate all the kind messages and support.