1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

progestogen only pill/contraceptive implant

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tartetatin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi. I went to family planning for the first time in years today, with a view to going on the pill.
    Turns out that my BMI is slightly too high [​IMG] for the normal pill, so the progestogen only pill and contraceptive implant were the suggested alternatives.
    I must admit that the thought of 3 years of fuss free (??) protection is quite appealing. I'm not sure how I'd find the unpredictable, random bleeding though. Does this level out after a while and do you ever end up with something ressembling a period?
    Thanks for your help. Apologies if this particular thread topic has been done to death - I did try a search but some of the related threads were from a few years back.
    Cheers [​IMG]

2. Hi. I went to family planning for the first time in years today, with a view to going on the pill.
    Turns out that my BMI is slightly too high [​IMG] for the normal pill, so the progestogen only pill and contraceptive implant were the suggested alternatives.
    I must admit that the thought of 3 years of fuss free (??) protection is quite appealing. I'm not sure how I'd find the unpredictable, random bleeding though. Does this level out after a while and do you ever end up with something ressembling a period?
    Thanks for your help. Apologies if this particular thread topic has been done to death - I did try a search but some of the related threads were from a few years back.
    Cheers [​IMG]

3. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Everyone I've known to have the implant has hated it - they have either put on loads of weight and/or bled continuously :( My BMI is too hight for the pill as well, so I opted to have the mirena coild fitted and I've never looked back - no periods for over a year now!

4. Have you had any pill/implant type contracaption before?
    I would be cautious of having an implant as the very first port of call. If you have a bad reaction to the hormones you are stuck with that problem for quite some time. Due to some extremely bad reactions to pills in the past I have been advised to never have an implant or injection because of this reason.

5. Hello! Thanks to you both x
    I've been on Microgynon (normal, combined pill), years ago, without any side effects as I remember. Never an implant though, so thanks for the words of warning.
    Madenglishgirl, I'm due a smear test so maybe I could have a coil thingie fitted at the same time. This is an option I'll definitely look into a bit more.
    Thanks again.

6. Are you averse to the idea of taking a progersterone only pill like Cerazette? I was on it for about 4 years until I had the Mirena coil fitted. I had erratic bleeding on Cerazette for a few months then nothing at all. It might be a way to see if the progesterone suits you. It's far easier to stop taking a pill every day than have an implant or coil removed.

7. true suze, plus I'm incredibly squeamish about 'down below' ... despite having given birth to 3 children! I can't even bear to wear a tampon and my smear is massively overdue because I can't bear the thought of it, so I'm not sure how I'd fare with a coil. I realise this sounds pathetic but I've always been the same with f**y related matters!
    I've actually just this minute gone and checked the pill given to me by the doc at Family Planning today. It's Cerazette. I'll let you know how I get on.

8. I've had 2 children and find smears fine but honestly, for me, having the coil fitted was very unpleasant (I'm being tactful). Bear with the erratic bleeding, if you do get it, and it should settle down. Apart from that for the first few months, I was very happy taking it. I swapped to the Mirena for a few reasons, I was sick of taking a tablet every day, Mirena is more reliable and I thought at my age (39) it was better to be on as low dose of hormone as I could.

9. Cerazette - avoid it like the plague if you wish to remain sane and not an emotional wreck!!! It was an enotional roller coaster fro about day 7..... the next alternative I was given led to permanent damage - soemthing not often mentioned......
    Coil may well be healthier longterm...

Or better still condoms!!!!

10. I had migraines on the combined pill but wouldn't necessarily advise someone else to avoid it. I think it's a case of using one's own judgement and using some common sense. What suits one won't necessarily suit another.
    Once a coil is in they are very reluctant to remove it, the advice tends to be give it 6 months to settle down, not very good if you are one of those individuals who can't get along with it.

11. My own experience is that if you have real problems with it they will remove ASAP - in A&E if necessary.... but in general women experience fewer issues....
    But you re ight they won't just whip it out on a whim - it is pretty darn expensive....£100/E180 from what I remember...

12. Hello again and ta for the replies so far [​IMG]
    I'm a wee bit confused Suze (probably just me!). Do you mean that the coil is worth having, despite the discomfort of having it fitted?
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience on Cerazette, Miss. I'll google it now. As Suze said though, I guess no two people will be affected in the same way.
    My God, you'd think us women would have an easy answer to all of this. Maybe I should just send Mr Tarte for the snip [​IMG]

13. That sounds like you've had a bad time with it [​IMG]
    The copper IUDs are much cheaper but Mirena is around £100. It is very expensive but very effective (if you can tolerate it).

14. Blimey, we must have all started posting at the same time there! I missed those replies at the end.

15. That was all a bit bizarre!!
    I'm definitely pleased I had a coil fitted - sorry if my posts were confusing. My thought were it might be wise to go for the Cerazette to see if you can tolerate the hormone in it then possibly think about the coil. The coil does have a much lower dose (equivalent to 2 tabs/wk if I remember properly).

16. Mr J wasn't very keen on entertaining the idea of the snip. According to the literature, Mirena is as reliable as female sterilisation.

17. Cool, thanks for the clarification suze. The coil is looking like a good option, especially if I can have it fitted at the same time as a smear test *shudder*
    Have googled Cerazette and loads of women have negative things to say about it ....

18. I thought long and hard about the coil and googled it too. As is always the way there were lots of negative comments about it. There was a thread a while back about Mirena when I was considering it, I'll try and find it for you.....

19. cheers, m'dear!
    Will read in a wee while; Mr Tarte feeling a bit neglected at the moment, bless him!
    It sounds like the strongest contender so far ... although when people mention feeling the 'strings', I go a bit [​IMG]!