1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Profoundly affecting film.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I saw 'The Danish Girl' today. It was very beautiful and very moving. Do see it!

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

It's on my list!

RedQuilt and Lascarina like this.
  3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The review in the Grauniad panned it and said Eddie was overacting something chronic.

4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Am going tonight !!

Lascarina likes this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I pay no attention whatever to reviews. And the Grauniad is a paper I loathe.

aspensquiver_2 and coffeekid like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Also panned on a few Radio 4 shows. Not for me.

(I, being a Leftie luvvie, adore the Guardian, of course!)

jacob likes this.
  7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm a leftie, but I also loathe the Guardian. :- )

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I find Eddie Redmayne a bit earnest and precious. Like he's trying too hard. I can see why he'd be absolutely right for that role.

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'd quite like to take my daughters but one of them is 11 so could take her according to the 12A rating but would appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there's anything unsuitable. She's bright and mature for her age.

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The film is rated 15. I certainly wouldn't take an 11 year old to it.

11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Oh, I must've misread the rating! I'll go on my own then.
    Thanks.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'll have towait for it to come on TV
    as is usually my only viable option

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have seen extensive trailers and it just looks so MOODY. I'm going to add 'morose' to this evaluation of Eddie.

I might have to shout something. Probably, "Buck your ideas up, you wet lettuce!" This would spoil the film for other punters, I feel. Better that I stay away.

foxtail3 likes this.
  14. Kriechbaum

Kriechbaum New commenter

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've just never been tempted to go and watch films like that.

Eddie Redmayne got lots of plaudits for that film about Steven Hawking the other year and it was great PR for both of them but Hawking is and was a total ********* in real life.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Indeed so!

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I didn't like the film and I didn't like Eddie Redmayne in it.

18. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

He certainly came across like that in the snippet of The Graham Norton show I was unfortunate enough to catch while hopping between channels. I know pretty much all the guests are plugging something or other but still he was ultra-annoying.

He was amazing in Birdsong, though.

19. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Lots of people are. That doesn't detract from his immense intellect and his indomitable will, though.

20. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

He has been a very sick man for a very long time, whilst retaining his great intellect. I'm not sure how many of us could avoid being tetchy under such circumstances.

My friend's son is a post-grad in Maths at Cambridge and has an astonishing aptitude. Prof Hawking has taken to being around at the end of his lectures sometimes. Friend's son, who has Asperger's and lacks the social constraints of the non-affected, asked him outright if he was keeping an eye on him because he was going to have his job one day. Prof Hawking laughed and said: "So I've heard!" Nothing of the ******** about him in that context.