1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Profile points...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Dec 5, 2011.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I'm a little confused regarding some of the FSP points and would like some clarification or advice...
    1. Can a child achieve, for example, point 6 before point 4? For example I have several children in my nursery class who recognise numerals 1-9 and can order numbers to 10 but struggle with counting objects.
    2. Point 4 'Say number names in order' what does this mean? literally one, two, three, four etc? and what do they have to be able to count up to?
    3. Is there any documents that say what evidence/tasks indicate that these points have definitely been met or is it more based on teacher judgement?
    4. I have 2 children who are able to represent some sounds in writing, for example, one child wrote s and t in Santa and t, r and n in train. Does this kind of thing need to be repeated on several occasions to say for definite? I've been told to only really expect point 3 by the end of nursery but I have several who can write their own names, recognise letter sounds and are attempting to sound things out.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My LA gives us assessment criteria with examples updated every year, you could find out if there is anything like this in your area.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think it's really important to read through some of the examples and extra info in the book. Also, there are documents on the web which explain what to do about some of the bonkers scale points (eg the rhyme and alliteration one). I had a long discussion about a child in my class last year re the NLC points. He had MLD and recognised numbers and could say number names in order. However, he could not count a given number out of a set. QCA (or whatever they are called) refused to give the passcode to unlock the 4-8 because he had not scored point 3 in that area of learning and they reckoned it was "too important". Hopefully the new curriculum and assessment system will iron out the inconsistences. Fingers crossed.

4. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

It will indeed be interesting to see what the 'new' curriculum brings, and whether any 'lockouts' will still apply as I gather that eprofile will not be updated to cope with the changes. Do we also await a new method of data entry for the FSP return?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You don't need a pass code if you don't use the e profile (which is another inconsistency in the system)

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We use Classroom Monitor to record the profile, there is no 'lockout' mechanism.

7. I would be really interested in the documents you mentioned regarding clarification of the more obscure scale points - especially the alliteration one! Can't seem to find them tho', please coild you give more details as to where to find them please? Thanks in advance.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

9. Hi, new to the forum,
    I have an interview tomorrow for part time eyfs reception teacher. Only had a little experience in that age before any tips???
    also, does anyone know when this new curriculum is going to come into circulation?
    Thanks x

10. We use Classroom Monitor also...... when uploading our results at the end of the year it alerts me several times to the 'children receiving a point above 3 before getting point 1-3' and does not let me continue until i go back and rectify the situation! There is no ignore and continue button!
    or at least I havent found one!!!!!
    my LA would prob send it back though and tell me to resubmit PROPERLY! lol

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'd never actually noticed that - perhaps I just haven't tried to do it.