1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Profile of music within school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katielouisesm, Sep 5, 2019.

1. katielouisesm

katielouisesm New commenter

Ive become a recent subject leader in music in primary. It is the least musical school I've worked in! There is a choir and ks1 and ks2 singing assemblies but music isn't highly thought of. I want to raise the profile

I can't work on ks2 singing assembly as this is all arranged through a local singing initiative where schools get together. I can and will make the ks1 ones better though!

What I'm looking for is tips and ideas to raise the musical profile. My first idea is to have a different genre of music every half term and every week a different artist with their music playing as chn come into each assembly. This will be displayed in the hall.

But what else?! I'm really struggling! Plus as a part timer there is a limit yo what I can implement

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Music needs to be portrayed as being fun. Have a music display board with pictures and brief notes about the composer /piece of music of the week. Have a display of music books and instruments. Do any children play an instrument? Get them to perform in assemblies. Are there any musical parents who would come and talk to the childrern/ perform for them. Can you link up with a local secondary school? We used to take children to ours to use their steel pans and their music technology suite (year 6). Could you start a fun after school music club? Are the class teachers confident at teaching music. Do a staff meeting to support them and give them some ideas to support your music teaching. Are there any peripertetic teachers that would do an assembly to introduce their instrument? Is there a local orchestra that would come in and do a workshop? Good luck.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ensure there is lots of singing and untuned percussion in EYFS.
    What do staff use to teach music in class? Is it effective? Do they need more equipment? More training? More guidance? Are there some teachers doing a fabulous job of teaching music in their class?
    Organise a musical talent show, maybe a 20p/50p/£1 entry fee that goes to charity.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Also-can you use links to the local community? Choir sing carols in the community, or at an Old Folks home? We have a Primary Schools music association where local primary schools come together twice a year. Once to perform carols in the local church, and the second occasion is quite a large scale production in the local theatre, involving singers. recorders and orchestra, readers and dance. Over twenty schools take part. The children love it. Local teachers organise it and there is a professional conductor. Is there anything similar that you could get involved with?
    Get parents involved at home. Suggest a list of activities they can do with their children.
    eg for younger children
    Freeze dance( bit like musical statures)

Play some music and dance. Shout "freeze!" and stop the music. Freeze in a different shape/position each time. How long can you hold them?

Make a Band

Use pots, pans, bowls, empty milk cartons -- whatever you have to hand hand -- and let your child tap them with various objsect-egwith a wooden, metal or plastic spoon. Listen to the different sounds.

Make your own instruments eg Fill closed containers with buttons , rice , pasta, pebbles etc and shake them along to music. Fast/slow/start/stop

Make-Your-Own Xylophone

Fill an assortment of empty bottles/glasses/jugs with varying levels of water. Line them up in order from least to most full. Give your child a wooden /metal/plastic spoon and let them experiment with the different sounds.

For a pretty variation, add food colouring to the water and make a rainbow.

Paper plate cymbals

Use two paper/plastic plates. Put on music and dance/play along. Can you play fast, slow, softly, loudly, behind your backs, under your legs, above your heads, and you can also rub them together to produce a different sound.

Music from Junk

Find things to tap, scrape, shake, scrunch, blow to make different sounds.

Draw to music

Give your child some paper and different coloured markers or crayons. Start the music and ask your child to draw what he/she is hearing. For example, with slower music, you might draw long, loping lines in a dark colour. With a faster tune, shorter, sharper angles using a brighter shade. An alternative would be to play the music outside and hand your child some chalk to draw on the pavement.

Print pictures of musical instruments from the internet for colouring.

Tissue/Scarf Dance

Give each child a tissue/scarf . Play any music.

Begin dancing, but don’t let the tissue/scarf hit the ground.Keep it floating in the air.

IBall fun

Combining ball play with music helps children to develop a sense of timing and sequencing. Have fun with “my turn” and “your turn” .Roll the ball back and forth between you and your child. Once rolling is mastered try bouncing and then, eventually, catching. Play appropriate music.

Sing

Nursery Rhymes

Action songs-eg Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes

Counting Songs

Clapping Games

Tapping out rhythms

Reading stories about musical topics.

Action songs-eg Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes

Read their favourite story and make sound effects with voices, homemade instruments and percussion instruments.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019