1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional update

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Big_Dave2009, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Big_Dave2009

Big_Dave2009 New commenter

Hi,

My professional update is due in five years time so I was just wondering do I just continue to accumulate CPD course notes for the next five years and store them on mygtcs and then have the line manger sign everything off everything or does he/she just need to see the year before sign off is required?

Cheers

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

In our authority, teachers fill in their update records online whenever they have something to add. They have a professional review and development meeting with their line manager once a year. The signing off process happens in whichever year it is due for the individual involved.

3. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

And it is the line manager's duty to make sure the sign off takes place. Plus you don't need screeds of data entries AND things like an unprompted teacher taking the minutes of a DM can be logged as middle leader experience as that is what it is. In short an eye opening process. Plus, under collegiality, you should not need piles of paper evidence/paper logs to "prove" your training and experience - that should be taken as read. The review should not be treated as an appraisal with the line manager sitting in judgment but as a collaboration.

4. Big_Dave2009

Big_Dave2009 New commenter

Thanks for the input folks. Take care.