1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Update Help Needed

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by crinauk, Apr 24, 2017.

1. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

I have read the post below but have not received any reminders etc from the GTC.

I am struggling to understand what I am supposed to do as I was teaching abroad 2 years prior to this school year. My PT in school was in an Acting position and said she would find out for me and never did. The post has now been filled but the new PT is on maternity leave so we have no-one in charge. I have asked SMT for help but haven't been able to pin anyone down. The time is ticking fast towards 1st July and I am beginning to panic. I have read the information on the GTC website and I understand that I need to enter all of my CPD but I am not sure what they are looking for in the comments and connections and the reflection sections. How much am I expected to write ? How do I find a Reviewer ? What are PRD meetings ? I have noticed on the GTC website examples of Prezzi and youtube journals am I expected to have something similar ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Teachers who are due to send off their Professional Update will already have had two reminders from GTCS to 'press the button'. You should have received a letter a couple of years ago telling you which year you'll need to send yours off. If you haven't had any reminders, it may be that you are not due to send yours yet. Mine's not due till next year so I've just been filling in the update information now and then to keep it up-to-date. If yours isn't due by July 2017, there's no need to panic as you'll still be able to add information after that date. I've just added some CPD information from last March that I forgot to put in, and backdated that entry so it has the correct date on it. If yours is due to be sent off by July, you'll need to insist on speaking to SMT as soon as possible to organise who will be your reviewer and to arrange for a PRD meeting to take place. If this doesn't happen, contact your union.

In our area:
    • The reviewer is usually your current head teacher. The reviewer needs to have a PRD meeting with you before you can send off your Professional Update.
    • PRD meetings are Professional Review and Development meetings. They happen once a year (March for us) but you could request more if you wish.You and your head teacher will discuss what you are pleased with about your job/achievements this year, agree your priorities for next year and list possible CPD opportunities to help you with your priorities.
    • HT/PT/SMT staff are responsible for making sure teachers are aware of what they need to do to fill in the Professional Update.
    • We are all a bit vague about the amount of detail needed in each section, so we just write brief notes.

3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

It's a write-only document. You put in it enough to satisfy your reviewer, who is usually your line manager. Those faffing around keeping journals on youtube clearly have too much free time and too little imagination.

Effinbankers likes this.
  4. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Just wondered what kind of stuff people are including. It all seems a bit repetitive. "What form did your learning take? What was your learning about? How did you participate in your learning?"

It was a presentation about xyz. It was about xyz, I watched a video about xyz.
    Has anyone really filled in the whole of all the boxes, uploaded notes etc? I have 1 short note in each box. Please tell me this is OK.

5. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Mine is due to be signed off this year and I'm not aware of having pressed any button. Clarification please!!! I think I deleted an email saying it was due to be signed off.