1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Update GTC Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by aau03148, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Hi

I have only just gained access to my Professional Update on the GTCS website.

There doesn't seem to be much guidance on the length of entries, or level of detail required. Is anyone able to give me a rough idea, or point me in the direction of the relevant information?!

2. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

My authority were quite clear that it's a personal reflection but in particular detail of the IMPACT that your CLPL has had in the learning and teaching going on within your class is an expectation.

Reference should be made to the standards but nobody is wanting screeds and screeds written...it's not meant to be onerous

The key is that these should be used as a reference to a quality PRD meeting.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

No particular detail is required, have a look at other threads on PU (poo) and CPD. Don't forget to mention how your teaching has improved immeasurably because you did something vaguely related to education . . .

MsAnother likes this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Absolutely.

MsAnother likes this.
  5. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

I have a question... Our SMT are trying to shoehorn in classroom monitoring on the grounds that it's required for the PU.

I've got dizzy from trying to read all the stuff on the GTC website and can't find anything that suggests that a promoted person watching me deliver a crit lesson is required, or even that peer to peer classroom visits are needed.

I suspect they're trying to push an HMI agenda under the guise of the GTC one.

If my reading is correct, we should all be having professional dialogues and reading up on new initiatives, but as long as we keep a log of things we chat about then try out, that should do us? It seems to me that departmental meeting minutes would suffice for the logging, for example... Any suggestions? What happens elsewhere? I'm also aware that this thread is not going to last long enough for me to read any replies! Durrr

6. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

Sounds like your SMT are confusing PU with Probationer Induction Profiles. PU itself has no requirements for crit lessons/monitoring, etc. Obviously if you have useful feedback from observations this may be included. I included a couple of points from an observation because it linked directly into my PRD targets.

My SMT made it clear there were no "expectations" of "stuff" in my PU other than a reflective discussion about the IMPACT my CLPL has had on my pupils. It was not used, as feared, as some sort of competency sign-off. The discussion during my PRD where I was signed-off was straight-forward and operated just as a normal PRD a experienced for many years previously.

aau03148 likes this.