1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Update for Supply Teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by elephantfeet, Jan 17, 2016.

1. elephantfeet

elephantfeet New commenter

Am due to do my PRD this coming year 2015/16 and to be quite honest I do not know where to begin with what to prepare. I do very little supply work through choice now and I must admit lately I have been covering McCrone time more and more which can often mean 45 minutes with each class so to keep a 'Reflective Journal' on what I am achieving in classes is somewhat daunting. I can understand this would be easier if you were doing long term supply work within a school as you would have access to what is usually available to permanent staff. Since this process is relatively new for Supply Teachers there may not be many of you out there who can advise me what it is all about and whether I am worrying unnessarily, but I would appreciate any feedback on this subject.
    Where and how do you get the information about appropriate inservice days available and would we need to finance this ourselves? Thank you in anticipation....

2. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

It might be worth checking with someone in your authority about whether you can attend authority led INSET days that they run. There might be things you could attend. Also I know that in my old authority there were some organisations that ran courses which were very reasonably priced or even free to staff. Could you check with one of the schools you are if they know of anything. We used to book through eventbrite - not sure it that is local to our authority or if its a Scotland wide thing.

Can't think of anything re your Reflective Journal I'm afraid. I've retired so don't need to worry about it anymore.

Good luck

3. vforvendetta

vforvendetta New commenter

I m also due to do my prd this session as a supply teacher. I've never thought of keeping a reflective journal, and get little opportunity to go on courses. That's not to say I don't do CPD. As far as I'm concerned I'm doing cpd every day, keeping up with new courses and the cfe nonsense, as well as observing and collaborating with the many colleagues I meet. Hoping to get someone to sign me off, but not too worried as I don't think the GTCS will rush to revoke my teaching credentials too readily. With any hope, they will abandon it. I also live in hope of the GTSC being dismantled. What a waste of space they are. Got my 'everything is rosy in teacher land' fantasy pamphlet this week. Straight in the recycling.

Effinbankers likes this.
  4. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Whoever calls you in to do supply should be willing and able to help you with this. They need you and they will make sure the right paperwork is completed to ensure they can keep using you.

ScotSEN likes this.
  5. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

A reflective what now? A reflective journal on what?

This just gets worse so it does.

6. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

I'm trying to get my paper jottings down into some form of journal right now. As a supply teacher I do have the advantage that experiencing new schools and subjects brings on some opportunities for reflection, but this year has been so thin, I have little meat to add to the journal. If only I had been more diligent in my past 4 term post. Procrastination - a deadly enemy (Why am I here?)

7. Marco82

Marco82 Established commenter

The GTCS, if it has any reason for existence at all, should be to act as a gatekeeper to the profession, it should be there simply to confirm that we are actually qualified to teach. This should requirie only the logging of some details and ensuring that no one gets to teach who has not obtained the relevant qualifications. Yet it is unable to make that simple requirement stick for still people are allowed in to teach who are not properly qualified. At the same time, it has arrogated to itself the task of making us prove ourselves over and over again, having us spend until hours filling in pointless forms, generataring spurious evidence as we seek to prove our fitness to teach. Why are our university degrees not proof enough of our competence? Are we really expected to spend the whole of our professional lives producing endless miles of utter tripe to satisfy some overpaid, non accountable bureaucrat ? Why the hell have the unions acquiesced in this charade? Why have they have colluded in creating extra work for us and ensuring that we pay for the privelige into the bargain. Any idiot can play the GTCS game and look good on paper. Surely management can weed out those not up to the job? I think it is time to mount a campaign to get rid of the whole stinking apparatus. We need to make a start by putting pressure on the unions to act. Anyone know how to start an online petition?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Google 'Futurelearn' - they have lots of free courses you can access online. They suggest you pay for a certificate at the end of a course, but there's no need to, just note what courses you did and how long you spent doing the reading etc. That should be enough if you can tie it in to what you do in the class. On reflection, maybe a course on creative writing might be handy for all of us...