1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Standards

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ahmadrana10, Dec 7, 2016.

1. ahmadrana10

ahmadrana10 New commenter

Hi everyone
    Need help ASAP, please.
    We are asked to attend the graded tutorial and for that we have to evaluate ourselves for all the 20 questions. We are asked to give some input for each question, something like where you think at the moment , how you think will meet each of the standard and how you plan it.

Please someone help.

Professional values and attributes
    Develop your own judgement of what works and does not work in your teaching and training
    1 Reflect on what works best in your teaching and learning to meet the diverse needs
    of learners
    2 Evaluate and challenge your practice, values and beliefs
    3 Inspire, motivate and raise aspirations of learners through your enthusiasm and knowledge
    4 Be creative and innovative in selecting and adapting strategies to help learners to learn
    5 Value and promote social and cultural diversity, equality of opportunity and inclusion
    6 Build positive and collaborative relationships with colleagues and learners
    Professional knowledge and understanding

Develop deep and critically informed knowledge and understanding in theory and practice
    7 Maintain and update knowledge of your subject and/or vocational area
    8 Maintain and update your knowledge of educational research to develop evidence-based practice
    9 Apply theoretical understanding of effective practice in teaching, learning and assessment drawing on research and other evidence
    10 Evaluate your practice with others and assess its impact on learning
    11 Manage and promote positive learner behaviour
    12 Understand the teaching and professional role and your responsibilities

Professional skills
    Develop your expertise and skills to ensure the best outcomes for learners
    13 Motivate and inspire learners to promote achievement and develop their skills to enable progression
    14 Plan and deliver effective learning programmes for diverse groups or individuals in a safe
    and inclusive environment
    15 Promote the benefits of technology and support learners in its use
    16 Address the mathematics and English needs of learners and work creatively to overcome individual barriers to learning
    17 Enable learners to share responsibility for their own learning and assessment, setting goals that stretch and challenge
    18 Apply appropriate and fair methods of assessment and provide constructive and timely feedback to support progression and achievement
    19 Maintain and update your teaching and training expertise and vocational skills through collaboration with employers
    20 Contribute to organisational development and quality improvement through collaboration
    with others

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

What sort of help do you want?

No one can answer the questions but you, so just answer them honestly.

Then make a list of the 9 teacher standards and think about how you are doing with each of them.

Once you know where you are with each of the standards you can decide what you need to do to improve.

3. ahmadrana10

ahmadrana10 New commenter

Hi Blueskydreaming

Thank you for your input. I know It has to be done by me , no one can do that for me. I did not ask to do it for me. In fact, I requested , how to answer these 20 questions.

I know what they mean but I am struggling to put that in words.

Regards

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You didn't ask for help on how to answer the 20 questions. You said 'Help, we have a tutorial', then you listed the questions.

Ask your PGCE mentor at uni what they mean and how to respond to them. You are obviously not a native English speaker, so I'm sure your mentor will be sympathetic.

If you are indeed a PGCE student...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I suspect you are overthinking these questions. Go through and answer honestly with reference to recent experiences in school. (As an aside, I'm interested to know where these questions have come from. Why isn't the provider just using the Teacher's Standards?)