1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Software?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by tecteach, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I know some schools cannot afford this but if you can, should we be teaching say Adobe Illustrator instead of 2D Design. This would equip pupils with industry standard software skills giving them a potentially better CV.
    What are your thoughts?

2. I know some schools cannot afford this but if you can, should we be teaching say Adobe Illustrator instead of 2D Design. This would equip pupils with industry standard software skills giving them a potentially better CV.
    What are your thoughts?

3. Will it drive the laser cutter.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Adobe Creaivte Suite is definately the standard for all the Graphics based companies i've worked for so from that perspective yes.
    I think once they learn Illustrator etc then 2D is pretty easy to pick up if its needed x

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

At the risk of opening an old wound, whist Illustrator is the graphic design standard, what does it actuallly give your students they can't get from CorelDraw at a third of the cost or from Open Office Draw for free?
    If you learned how to work any of these programs you'd easily adapt to another. I wouldn't even entertain 2D design even if it were free. It's far from intuitive, restricts the design process and is way behind the times in the quality of output.
    I'd opt for the free software first and move up if there was something it didn't do, but to be frank, from what I've seen in most school requirements it would be a cynch to cope with.

6. at our school we use Serif Draw Plus, 2D Design and free Google Sketch Up to draw 3D models.