1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

professional photograph?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by notrat, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I am looking to apply for a job where they ask me to send a professional photograph with my application. It might sound like a silly question but I am unsure if they mean a photograph taken by a professional or a photograph where I look professional. Any advice would be very welcome.

2. I am looking to apply for a job where they ask me to send a professional photograph with my application. It might sound like a silly question but I am unsure if they mean a photograph taken by a professional or a photograph where I look professional. Any advice would be very welcome.

3. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

They mean shirt and tie and shaved face for a man, and non-Friday work clothes for a female. i.e. one where you look the part.

4. My photo was one taken by my students in the classroom, first thing in the morning (so the make-up still looked good)... they later photoshopped it onto the Mona Lisa I decided to put the original on my CV.

5. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Please put a decent photo on your CV - a passport-type one is best. I've had ones with bathing suits, bar scenery, beach attire, and so on. Not the first thing you want to see. A decent neutral snap is best, and don't forget to smile!

6. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

So the reason I'm not getting many interviews is the pic of me in my Borat thong?

7. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Yes. That picture is probably of the speciality interest variety rather than for general consumption.

8. This is the one my boss sent in.
    <h4>$$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$&pound;$</h4><h4> </h4><h4>It sums up her professional valuese perfectly.</h4>And her personality
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9. Good one. [​IMG]
    And it might depend.....

10. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

And that pic was professional (well, I did get paid) [​IMG]

11. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

Come to think of it, I've never had an interview when I've sent a photo in - and I'm not particularly ugly (so I've been told). I usually use a snap of me out and about looking roughty-toughty and outdoorsy which is the real me. Should I use a photo of me in a suit looking smarmy instead?
    I have a particular liking for those photos of headteachers looking up with a smile whilst being caught at their mahogany desk in the act of signing an important document on parchment with a fountain pen, that one finds on website front pages. Sadly, they are getting rarer.

12. Whilst on the point of photo's on CV's, any thoughts on putting University and company logo's on too. Saw one recently and it looked extremely impressive. But then again there's an issue of copyright, jazzing up a formal document, which isnt really professional. Any thoughts?

13. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

One problem with that would be the compatability of different computers to handle graphics. I've noticed that when I've tried sending documents from my home to my work computer the graphics are sometimes garbled, depending on what type of file the graphic is and what version of what program was used etc etc.

14. I thought of putting hyperlinks in my resume, for example, hyperlink my university or previous schools, so employers can just click on the names and be taken to the websites.

15. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Someone should start a web gallery of the worst teacher pics they have ever seen. You can start with mine!!!!!!