1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Learning opportunities

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by matt1286, Oct 1, 2019.

1. matt1286

matt1286 New commenter

Hi all,

I've been working in Education for a number of years. I've held senior management positions and now I'm seconded to a school improvement service. Throughout my career I've always tried to identify professional development which isn't run of the mill. I always look for opportunities which will be interesting, useful and set me apart when it comes to career progression. Many of the opportunities I've taken have been based on digital learning. I'm at a point now where I don't know what to do next. Can anyone suggest any professional learning which they would recommend?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Hard to say, not knowing anything about you. Have you thought about doing a Prof. Doc in Education though?

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

You mention digital learning. I've seen how computer-based education can bring enormous benefits to the subjects and the students I taught in secondary education: MFL and young people with SEND. As a teacher-researcher, however, I found the limitations of ICT-based learning, those scenarios when false assumptions were made or when negative consequences followed to be the most enlightening experiences in professional development. We learn more from our failures than from our successes and an oyster has to rub against an irritating bit of grit to produce a valuable pearl. If you're seconded to a "school improvement service", there must be something about the schools you are assisting that needs to be made better, and to do that you need to identify something that particularly irritates you about the status quo in educational theory and practice within those settings.