1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Development

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by gulfgolf, Mar 28, 2012.

1. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Any sort of masters (ignoring fake masters bought from degree mills) shows commitment to personal betterment, continued learning, and stick-to-it-iveness. All of which I consider valuable qualities in teachers.
    A creative writing masters would be fine if you're applying for teaching English. It's relevant.
    If you'd be looking to move to positions of responsibility, such a masters might not serve you best. Aside from the aforementioned qualities, it would not be relevant. You'd have to use other means to prove you had the knowledge and skills to lead others and work outside of the English realm.
    (I know, I know, a masters in education doesn't prove a person has those skills. Plenty of *** can read the books and write the papers without knowing how to apply anything to real life. But that's a different question for a different thread. Here, I'm trying to stick to the effect of a masters on a job application.)

2. Do it if you are interested but don't count on it getting you anywhere. Learning is a really great experience but teaching is one of the only professions that doesn't recognise it.
    be prepared to come across plenty of f&ckwit heads who have never managed more than a Btech in educatioshunal studies (University of Ofsted, School of BS) but who have convinced themselves that downloading from the QCA website constitutes a critical approach to the education of children. they won't thank you for being able to read and write.

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Ouch!! Saucer of milk for the Dude in the greenhouse!

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

[​IMG]
    You are a brick, lovelylady: I was expecting a rant that would make oldgit look like... a pussycat.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Agreed.
    B0l0x.
    Testiculos.
    G. Mainwaring, BA (Hons) MA, Cert Ed.
    Headteacher (Retd.)
    Author & Olive Farmer (Current)

6. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

What have you heard? All of it is true, so be scared, be very scared. I will hunt you down; I will stalk you and once I'm finished with not even my left-over mice will give you a second glance!!
    [​IMG]

7. jacks_wasted_life

jacks_wasted_life New commenter

I don't see myself as management material, to be honest. I could maybe one day see myself as a HoD, but even then, I'd be a slightly reluctant one. Don't have the minerals to 'manage' confrontational colleagues, I'm afraid.

Sorry SMTDude, my original post was not intended to discuss 'how to attain a coveted position in a Tier One school'; while I'm in a school that I really like at the moment, I had to take the position due to a lack of interest from more 'established' institutions. I am looking to move up in the world, but not to the lofty heights of schools which require pounds of flesh in return for a contract.

In my limited experience, I've found those particular types to be the most work-shy. Better to write a ten page report in their office than to actually engage a child one-on-one.

Not really expecting the Masters to take me anywhere special, but then again, it is a Masters in Creative Writing. Aside from the fact that it's something I've wanted to do for years, I only wished to enquire whether, as an added benefit, I would be seen as more employable.

If I was solely concerned with money, I'd be ploughing through a Masters in Educational Leadership. ;-)

Thank you everyone for your candour.

8. jacks_wasted_life

The day that I have the Masters and have satisfied my wanderlust for this particular part of the world, I'd love to put in an application for the sunny shores of Ruritania!

9. Is your creative writing masters a distance learning one? I´ve been pondering a masters for years and would be interested to know where you´re planning to do yours. Is it possible to do a good Masters by distance learning?

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

My views on Masters are fairly simple.
    If it is for professional reasons then get your school to pay for it. If the school is willing to pay for all of it then go for it. If it is willing to pay 50% then think about it and go for it only if it will make a significant difference to your future employment. If no money is forthcoming then I would forget it.
    If it is for personal reasons, then who cares if it is useful or not. It is for personal enjoyment and interest. That is all that matters.

11. University of London

12. Excellent points.
    I would consider it if I thought it would make me a better teacher, not more easily employable.

13. jacks_wasted_life

First and foremost, it is a personal choice. That said, it is going to cost a small fortune, as while I enjoy the school I'm currently at, they are a small outfit and not willing to pay for such 'extravagances'. It would be remiss of me to undertake such a project, even if only for 'personal reasons', without considering what it might entail for my future career; particularly, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, that many schools now seem to actively seek those with further degrees.

Distance through the University of Lancaster. Not the best, by all means, but the University of East Anglia (reputedly the best for Creative Writing) doesn't have an online course.

Fair enough. I thought I'd implied that I wanted to bring what I'd learned into the classroom with me in my original posting, but I clearly need more writing practice ;-)