1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Development Topics

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by freelancer1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. freelancer1

freelancer1 New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently been made HOD and am looking for ideas of Professional Development Topics that I can deliver to my team of Science teachers. I want the PD Sessions to be relevant and meaningful. Any ideas/suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

To some extent this will need to be tailored to the needs of your department / school / individual teacher. I would use your upcoming Appraisal / Performance management interviews to get an idea of any weaknesses in your team and build from there.

I would also suggest that you do not skip Subject knowledge sessions - I and a colleague led a session on the new Energy model that we have to teach to KS4, and I have done datalogging sessions as well

freelancer1 and wanet like this.
  3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Check your school development plan for any whole-school priorities. Unless there are any glaring weaknesses, I'd hold off making a plan until you know what would be most useful. You don't want to be doing things for the sake of it.
    You could see what colleagues in your dept are doing really well and ask them to share examples of good practice. And anything subject-specific, e.g. New equipment, new areas on syllabus, moderating using mark schemes. Planning together and sharing resources can be really beneficial and definitely counts as PD. Planning displays together to reinforce key science vocab and concepts?

freelancer1 likes this.