1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Development Portfolio at interview

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by scjr, Apr 6, 2011.

1. I've been encouraged to bring a Professional Development Portfolio to an interview.I've never had to do this before and would welcome any suggestions on what to include / how to display it.
    Thanks

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

mine is just my teaching portfolio - sow/resources/letters from parents & colleagues/pictures/thank you cards. google for examples.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The great Harry Deelman, of trouser-lending and Search Associates fame, was very much of the opinion that a teaching portfolio is a good idea when going for an interview. What you put into it is pretty much up to you, but I would recommend plenty of big colour photos of you with happy children, teaching resources you have designed, copies of articles you have had published, letters of recommendation from grateful parents, degree and teaching certificates, a few spare CVs and anything else that may give an interviewer a positive insight into who you are and what you do. If you have some photos of you standing on stage with the cast of the school, play you directed, put it in. If you edited the school newsletters, include some of them as well.
    Do principals always bother to look at these portfolios? No, they don't. Some will scrutinise every page and some won't even bother to open the portfolio, but you will probably feel more confident when you walk into the interview if you have your portfolio with you.

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

I do. Not claiming any particular professional merit in saying so.
    It's just very interesting, and sometimes revealing, what kind of montage of their career candidates put together. We've seen some superb Power Point presentations too, and when you snuggle up to a candidate to peer together at the laptop, you gain insight into their attitude vis-a-vis personal hygiene, so important in sultry climes.
    Last time I applied for a job - one of those 'real' headships with €190,000 pa tax-free, six-bedroomed house with pool, chauffeur with white gloves kinda thing - I helpfully attached 'The Collected Posts of SMT Dude' to the CV.
    They didn't get back to me.

5. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Always good, and often very funny. PP work a treat, in particular when you want to see the candidate in action - it gives them somefink specific to talk about,you can see a bit of their character coming through and it puts them at their ease. Anything to put a bit of colour into the application

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I just cannot imagine sitting down in an interview and whipping out a PP of my illustrious career. I think I would end up laughing uncontrollably.