1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

professional development for SMT

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by missp67, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I wonder if colleagues can advise on the sorts of courses, professional training, certification or qualifications they might expect to see from prospective SMT candidates? Does relevant experience outweigh courses such as leading from the Middle, Leadership pathways, etc? How much weight do things like this carry in the selection procedure? In developing your own middle managers, do you send people on training courses? Thanks, Lisa

2. I wonder if colleagues can advise on the sorts of courses, professional training, certification or qualifications they might expect to see from prospective SMT candidates? Does relevant experience outweigh courses such as leading from the Middle, Leadership pathways, etc? How much weight do things like this carry in the selection procedure? In developing your own middle managers, do you send people on training courses? Thanks, Lisa

3. It depends on the remit of the SLT post you are going for and also primary/secondary. I would expect most SLT candidates to have done some middle leader training - maybe the NCSL programme, maybe something local. Also I would like to see someone aspring to SLT to have contributed to the development of others- maybe through coaching a colleague or through devising and delivering part of a PAD or INSET.
    We invest a lot of time and money in training middle leaders- regardless of their final aspirations - when shortlisting I'm interested in what the course has taught the candidate and the impact this had on their practice rather than just going on a course. A course is useless if it does not impact on your day to day practice.
    A good course is Leadership Pathways- but it's quite hard to get on if you are not SLT but it does teach you a lot and the language and level of it is more suited to SLT level.
    I would expect that you would seek out opportunities for CPD and that some of that would be through networking with colleagues.

4. Thanks for these thoughts; I wonder if these are typical condiderations, as I appear to have dug myself into a hole that I can't progress out of. In my school I am Head of Professional Development - all the INSET, cpd etc, and we have a department of staff working on this. My problem is that when I go to other schools for SMT/SLT posts, they don't 'get' what I do, as I'm not a typical head of subject department..... My school doesn't offer or support any NCSL/SSAT programmes, so there's no leadership Pathways, Leading from the Middle, nothing like that. I have delivered far far more training than I have ever received, both to our own staff, and other schools, and at the request of the LA, but don't seem to have any transferable currency to go to other schools. Any ideas, anyone?
    MissP

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It sounds to me like you need to seek a HOD post.

6. .. But that's like turning the clock back 10 years in my career. In lots of schools, the job I do would be an AHT position anyway. I'm stuck! Thanks for replying...