1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional CV.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by stupot101, Jan 24, 2016.

1. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Has anyone paid for a professional CV writing service?

I have read of someone on TES forum who recently has used such a company, but I am unable to trace them. (I have tried the search facility, and also Google.)

It is not for a teaching job by the way.

Thanks.:)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good!

Because the statutory guidance is that maintained schools should not ask for nor accept CVs, and many of the other schools not obliged to follow this (Academies, Frees, Indies) often follow this as considered best practice.

Do be wary, @stupot101 , as some of this professional CV writing firms turn out the weirdest of stuff - I have seen ones with a sort of Personal Mission Statement at the beginning that looks really off-putting.

You don't want to pay for something and not use it.

You might be just as well off just getting an experienced secretary to lay out your CV for you, so that it looks professional and pleasing.

Best wishes

3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Thank you for the reply TheoGriff. I will keep your advice in mind.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

@stupot101 There's also a ton of free advice on the Guardian careers site, plus a load of YouTube videos from reliable careers advice companies telling you what to include and how to structure it etc

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks for that reminder, @thethiefoftime .

But just ensure that the advice and examples are from UK, not US.

Best wishes