1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional courtesy??

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Harriet_Louise, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Harriet_Louise

Harriet_Louise New commenter

I have been at my new school two terms and have come to the conclusion that the school is not right for me. I have a meeting with the headteacher as a new member of staff to see how well I am settling in. Would this be a good opportunity to say that I am considering other/ new roles in the new year?
    There are other new members of staff who are similar minded as I am but have said they are not going to give any formal warning to SLT.
    I was always under the impression that providing the school with some forewarning was the professional way to act?

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I would bring up any issues that you have in the current school, yes. I don't know whether I would go as far as saying you are considering leaving unless asked really. I think that this is a conversation best had when you have seen a job you wish to apply for. You may change your mind (after all it can take a while to feel like the school is the right one) or not find a position you wish to apply for yet.

3. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

You need your HT to give you a decent reference. So yes, it will be polite to inform him/her that you are intending to look for another post, whilst smiling sweetly and asking if they would mind writing a reference for you.
    From own experience, providing they have been forewarned about the reference, most heads are willing to be pretty decent, and won't stop you from moving on.
    It's not an easy conversation to have, but remember that heads have these sort of conversations often.
    Whether you do this at your already pre-arranged meeting, or after you've discovered a job that you wish to apply for is up to you.
    Good luck with the job search!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Two terms is a short time for a school to have re-couped the effort and expense of appointing you. Although I will also add that two terms is a bit late for the How are you settling in as a new member of staff? conversation - I did them in the week before the first half term.

My feeling is that you would be best advised to stick to the Head's agenda for this meeting.

Go in with the positives, mention some points where there is a solution, not much point in mentioning the unsolvable . . . And unless asked How long do you think you will be staying with us? I wouldn't go for the jugular just at present.

Because it could be seen as going for the jugular to come out with that in a friendly meeting to see how you are getting on.

You are quite right, however, to wish to tell the Head before you begin applying.

Do I have to tell my Head I am applying elsewhere?

And have you read all the applications advice in the Professional Advice Hub? Tag me thus @TheoGriff if not, and I'll give you the links.

Best wishes