1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional blashemy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by happiclappiteacher, Jan 18, 2019.

1. happiclappiteacher

happiclappiteacher New commenter

What do you think but daren't say about the curriculum?

I think White Rose Maths is awful!

grumbleweed, Lalad, BetterNow and 5 others like this.
  2. happiclappiteacher

happiclappiteacher New commenter

...or even blasphemy!!!

3. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

I think KS3 has now turned into the wasted years : gcse-light. All we're doing is pale imitations of the ks4 syllabus. Narrow, boring, restrictive. All because we have to get them ready for gcse, five years before the cocking exam.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  4. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Don't dare say about the curriculum? Nothing. Very happy to freely criticize it.

Sometimes don't feel fully comfortable explaining my antipathy to the latest craze my head has decided to jump on, the full scorn I had for the 'what sort of learner are they' for instance. Well, freely speak out to the head/SLT that is.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I hate guided reading carousels.

I’ve felt that way since I started teaching; thankfully in the past few years most schools have moved away from them. People are waking up to how **** they are!!

DexterDexter and BetterNow like this.
  6. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

Talk for Writing and Destination Reader are a waste of time.

BetterNow and (deleted member) like this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've never written a lesson plan in my life

8. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

I wish we could get away with that. We have a rigid format and planning is regularly scrutinised. I don't actually use the written plan. I just write it for SLT scrutineers to avoid getting in trouble.

And genuinely some of the feedback is ludicrous - "This wasn't highlighted in the correct colour. It would make it much easier for me to scrutinise your planning if it was."

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I hated phonics. Necessary for some children but on the whole, a tedious bore.

blueskydreaming and BetterNow like this.
  10. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

I’ve only ever written them (in the form of a VERY brief overview) for Ofsted obs.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

OMG, leave! Don't waste a moment more of your precious time on Earth on that ****

12. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

I'm pregnant and I need the occupational maternity pay so I'm stuck for the time being. Thankfully, I've timed it so that I should only need to go back for the final half term of next year to keep the OMP and then I'm planning on leaving teaching for good!

I'm not quite sure what I'll do but I've fully had enough. The planning scrutiny is just the tip of the iceberg. My anxiety is sky high and at a time when I can't take my medication.

We've had a new Head (currently only acting) who is very much on my wavelength and very union-active (yippee) but I think her hands are pretty much tied because she's an acting head and the rest of SLT are obsessed with scrutiny as a proxy for actual, real leadership. Maybe if things have hugely changed I'll consider staying but I highly doubt it!

TEA2111 likes this.
  13. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Guided Reading sends me to sleep. I'm sure it must have benefits but I don't see any. Much prefer individual one to one reading or whole class reading activities.

14. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

Talk for Writing is a con and people who think it improves their children's writing have been duped by the amazing final product that the students have produced 'independently'.

My biggest professional blasphemy is not wanting to put everything into my SEN and very low-attainers. I'll give them as much of my time as everyone else in my class, but I'm not spending all my energy with them to get them to know the numbers to ten when I could spend the same time with 6 children and see them make progress. I can't say this of course; most teachers can't seem to fathom that not everyone got into teaching for the same reason as them.

gerdmuller and TEA2111 like this.
  15. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

The way the curriculum has been narrowed so that Maths, English and Science are worshipped as the most important things in the universe and the arts have all but disappeared in many schools.
    Education should not be about spending half the day doing Maths and English so that children can jump through hoops and produce the correct data for the powers that be.
    Education is about enriching children’s experience, broadening their horizons, encouraging their creativity, and inspiring them to love learning and take on a challenge. It involves the heart as well as the mind.

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, ViolaClef, but you try telling that to a teacher who is about to be OFSTEDed.

17. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@the hippo I think that I would tell the OFSTED inspector him or herself - and the Education Secretary too, for good measure.

18. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

that teachers are no longer professionals at all

19. doonessy

doonessy New commenter

Hate Talk for Writing.

psychocat45 likes this.