1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Advice urgently!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newteachernqt15, Nov 12, 2015.

1. newteachernqt15

newteachernqt15 New commenter

Hi,

I am a NQT experiencing a really tough time in a challenging School. Despite all my difficulties I was encouraged to not give in my notice before the Oct. half term. Now that we have gone back, things haven't improved and my health is becoming more and more affected. I have seen my GP and started taking anti-anxiety tablets to cope with the symptoms. I am very aware that my future is very unstable at the moment and I feel trapped in a situation where I don't see a way out. I haven't had any days off and managed to go in every day so far but purely on fear of letting my anxiety take over me. I cry before getting to work, sometimes in school and when I get back home. It is truly horrible.

I would like some advice on knowing what would be best for me in the future. I don't know if quitting now and starting over in a different school would work out better, somewhere where I feel like I am growing as a teacher and enjoying the profession like before; or if it would be better to find the strength to get this year done with, even though it may lead to some level of depression because I am hatting this experience and feel like quitting teaching altogether but at least will have my NQT year done?

I appreciate your thoughts.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Try and finish the year

Start looking for other jobs now.

I had something similar my first two years of teaching (the second tear was even worse than the first) but there are good schools out there - find one of them.

Best wishes

3. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Have you spoken to your HoD or a member of SLT? If not, consult them. They are your line managers so they should be able to sort any issues out!

4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I am so sorry for your predicament @newteachernqt15 . You are certainly not alone in your difficulty as a quick peruse of threads will show. In particular, I have seen several threads where NQTs have been persuaded to stay rather than resign at the October deadline. I rather think that the school were looking out for themselves rather than for you.

The Teacher Support Network has a 24/7 phone line dedicated to listen to teachers such as yourself and offer advice. If you have not already done so, join a Union, if you are not a member and wait until you are really in trouble then they will not help you.

You don't say what your position is regarding your work. Has anyone said that your work is not good enough? If this is not the case then you are doing OK and you need to celebrate that fact. It may not feel that way but really you are.

If you are in the position of someone saying you need to improve then you need to decide whether you can do in this situation. If you fail your NQT then you can never qualify for QTS, but if you don't complete your NQT you can pick it up later.(I'm pretty sure this is still correct but I'm very willing to be corrected)

The earliest you can leave is Easter and you need to decide whether you can keep going until then and do what is needed. If you feel that this is not possible then it may be possible for your Union to negotiate an early release. You could then sign up to a supply agency and do supply work. A lot of teachers find their feet this way but it is not an easy option. I haven't done a great deal of supply recently, but I gather that supply work this year is not as good as previous years. You can ask about this on the supply forum if you decide to go this route. If you do go this route and get work then you can use the opportunity to scout out suitable schools and maybe get a temporary and then even permanent contract in one that suits you.

I presume from the fact that you say you are a challenging school that you are finding the student's behaviour bad. This often happens to new teachers in a school no matter how experienced. You need to have a word with your mentor and HoD but also with the LEA NQT liaison who you should have details of. Explain your problem and try to follow the advice.

I am sure others will be along to augment what I have said, but I hope that this proves helpful and wish you the best of luck.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

In my nqt year I had a total meltdown over the Christmas break and almost didn't go back, even contacting my old head from when I had been a ta and asking for my old job back. She gave me a talking to and encouraged me to complete the year. I actually handed my notice in in the January (for a summer finish) and this gave me the strength I needed to stick it out - knowing that it was a set period of time really helped!

Spring term is short and summer term is busy, the 2 week Christmas break will refresh you and if it doesn't, you can always leave at Easter with 2 terms under your belt xx