1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Professional Advice urgently!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by newteachernqt15, Nov 12, 2015.

1. newteachernqt15

newteachernqt15 New commenter

Hi,

I am a NQT experiencing a really tough time in a challenging School. Despite all my difficulties I was encouraged to not give in my notice before the Oct. half term. Now that we have gone back, things haven't improved and my health is becoming more and more affected. I have seen my GP and started taking anti-anxiety tablets to cope with the symptoms. I am very aware that my future is very unstable at the moment and I feel trapped in a situation where I don't see a way out. I haven't had any days off and managed to go in every day so far but purely on fear of letting my anxiety take over me. I cry before getting to work, sometimes in school and when I get back home. It is truly horrible.

I would like some advice on knowing what would be best for me in the future. I don't know if quitting now and starting over in a different school would work out better, somewhere where I feel like I am growing as a teacher and enjoying the profession like before; or if it would be better to find the strength to get this year done with, even though it may lead to some level of depression because I am hatting this experience and feel like quitting teaching altogether but at least will have my NQT year done?

I appreciate your thoughts.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hello @newteachernqt15

I am so sorry to hear of your plight.

This is a general help forum - for example if you are having problems using the site.

Try reposting in Workplace Dilemmas where you may get some help and support.

You can also contact the Teacher Support Network ,via phone, live chat or email, for support and advice.

Best wishes.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You can't leave until Easter now, so if you can manage to carry on, you'll have two terms completed.
    Start looking around and find a school more suited to you who are advertising for Easter and get applying. Once you know you have an end date it is easier to carry on.

Sometimes schools encourage NQTs not to give in their notice because too many other staff have already done so and they have no staff left! Sod what school says, if you know it isn't for you then look elsewhere.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am so sorry to hear that things are so difficult for you.

First things first: your health. You are clearly too unwell to be in school from what you are saying, so go and see your Dr again on Monday and get some professional advice on how to restore yourself to health. And do what s/he says!

If you have to have time off school, so be it.

Secondly - the school was encouraging you to stay - they also should have been supporting you more. You need to ask your mentor to give you the help that you need to deal with the worse problems. Try and make a list of them and decide which are the main ones to deal with to make you feel better.

Thirdly, as @caterpillartobutterfly says, you have missed the deadline for resignations, but if you believe that moving is best for you (and schools do take on NQTs to do their final term), then make that decision now. Just knowing that you will be leaving, seeing the end of the tunnel ahead of you, could well make you feel better.

But do go and see your Dr ASAP.

Best wishes