1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Production - small class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lorraryall, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I'm looking for ideas for an end of year production for my current year 6 class. I feel like I've looked thorugh hundreds of possible scripts and found only a handful which claim to have between 10 and 18 parts (I only have 18 children in year 6).
    Has anyone managed an end of year production with so few children or know of any scripts which have been easily adapted? A lot claim that they can be adapted but will then require most of the class to learn a lot of lines.

2. I'm looking for ideas for an end of year production for my current year 6 class. I feel like I've looked thorugh hundreds of possible scripts and found only a handful which claim to have between 10 and 18 parts (I only have 18 children in year 6).
    Has anyone managed an end of year production with so few children or know of any scripts which have been easily adapted? A lot claim that they can be adapted but will then require most of the class to learn a lot of lines.

3. I will watch this thread with interest as I have a y6 class of 10 and wondering what to do at the end of the year with/for them!
    fp x

4. I got stuck with this situation a few years ago - in the end the best I came up with was to use one called Toby's Ark I think it was, and whereas they had it set up that you could use younger children to be the non-speaking animals to be carried onto the ark - we made papier mache model animals on sticks to use for them. Wasn't ideal but like you say - I went through hundreds of scripts and couldn't find anything better since everything's designed for the "usual" class of 30 plus the option to split parts down for even more kids!
    I'll say now that we did have a fair few kids in that class with either very... ahem... "focused" parents who'd make sure they learnt a LOT of lines, or from dramatically-inclined families so with extensive experience of siblings learning lines (had one whose sibling was in one of the big kids' TV shows of the time) so I knew I had a fair few "bankers" I could rely on to carry things a bit and take a larger line-learning load.

5. <address>You could look at our modern English version of A Midsummer Night's Dream - it has been done by top juniors, and is flexible as to numbers involved. Some largish parts, though. Macbeth has also been done by top juniors. Go to www.startingshakespeare.co.uk and get in touch if you need more information. To look at a few pages go to Amazon and use 'search inside'. Put in title plus Hort.</address><address></address>

6. Oscar Wilde's The Selfish Giant (by Sheila Wilson) only has a few speaking parts. So does Superkids Rock the Planet (Golden Apple). And Prodigal Rock (Faber). You can listen to/get them all at Redhead Music.

7. JCR

JCR

Hi, I've written the following musical scripts... Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin (both of which are available via magicparrot.co.uk) and alternative versions of Sleeping Beauty and The Story of the Willow Pattern. All these scripts were written for, and performed by, the drama club I run for children in years 2-6 which has never had more than 20 members who have comprised the cast. And all cast members have had at least a couple of lines each.

8. JCR

JCR

Sorry for the double post. Had to go and look up the cast lists and took too long to post and edit the previous post.

Just to clarify,

Aladdin has parts for 17 (7 of which are speaking chorus parts that could be doubled or have lines split to stretch to extra parts. in fact if I remember rightly one of our cast members went sick on performance day so we had to double up on two of them.)

Beauty and the Beast has parts for 13 main speaking characters with a recommended minimum of 12 chorus parts. Though when my club performed this, we tripled up the chorus parts, and so did this with 17 on the cast in total.
    Sleeping Beauty Doesn't (working title) has parts for 21 (with no doubling).

The Willow Pattern, I have two versions of. One we performed with 16 on the cast, plus room for extra chorus casting, and the other with 13.

Sleeping Beauty has parts for around 23 with some doubling. (14 are main characters and the rest minor and chorus which can be doubled.

9. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

You might want to take a look at Treasure Island from Starshine music. I did this last year with a small number of children -about 10 main parts, some with a lot of words, but the children didn't have problems learning them - It was a very entertaining script and the songs are brilliant. It went down especially well with the large number of boys but the girls enjoyed it too.

10. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

My year 6 placement school did a production of "little red hoodie" last year, a "gangsta" reworking of little red riding hood. It was hilarious. I think the script was just downloaded from the Internet for free, it was short so they added songs, dances, etc to pad it out. Depends on ur kids, these were council estate kids and it was right up their street! There were only about 4 or 5 main characters, the rest played gang members etc so it'd be perfect for a small class.