1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Product reviews

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Anything you buy online these days is followed up a few days later by an email asking you to review the item and also the retailer. I usually delete these as I can't be bothered to write a comment on something that is often quite dull and straightforward. I'll give it some stars from 5 if they ask for that, but the comment is a bit too much.

I have a Waitrose card which they obviously use to track my purchases, I have now just received an email asking me to review some avocados and an "Essential round lettuce" I can't even remember buying, maybe it started life as the few flaccid leaves that remained and were thrown in the bin earlier today.

[​IMG]

It was round and tasted of lettuce.

This is getting a little OTT now.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'm much the same but will comment on the more technical and esoteric ones when asked

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It would take a lot for me to be bothered enough to review a purchase unless I had been conned. I might take a brief look at the reviews and comments made by others before ordering something though, but I read them with a pinch of salt anyway. In my 62 years of life, I've met remarkably few people who are capable of discerning the quality of everything under the sun. I have no idea what experiences they've previously had, so what sense would it make to value the opinion of a complete stranger?

Even the supposed experts who make product recommendations in newspapers seem incapable of discerning s.hit from clay.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Everything must be reviewed...

My most recent inhalation was satisfactory but lacked the fulfilling lung full feeling I have come to expect of air. I hope this is improved on my next inhalation... oh it wasn't.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

And frequently that is a good reason to review a product.
    Especially when the seller has (usually) a very good reputation.
    The reviews from myself and 4 other buyers resulted in independent testing of one product and the banning of the the primary supplier/manufacturer from the sellers supply chain (and a very welcome and enhanced refund for all who purchased the product)

Not all reviews are unnecessary or pointless

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Agreed.

I have accepted that I have different tastes and/or requirements to most people, more often than not things that others rave about I don't bother with and the things I like best are often regarded as little better than adequate by others. This makes reviews of goods pretty meaningless for me if there is a degree of taste or preference involved.

I always look at the most negative reviews when buying something just in case, to find they are often the result of the buyer not reading the description of what they are buying properly or of some issue with delivery described in great detail which then ends up with something like "the spanner works fine".

Service reviews are useful, I bought two single mattresses last week online, I was just about to pay for them when I thought I'd google for reviews and was pleased I did as the 20 odd I found were almost universally carp. Ended up buying from another supplier that got universally good reviews instead.

7. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I did once respond to a 'Be the first to review this cooker' request on a web site. At the time I was not too happy with my purchase but did submit a fair review, with positive as well as negative points. It was never printed.

I do suspect that some firms moderate negative reviews or simply leave them out so if I read a mixture of the two I am more inclined to consider them as genuine, and yes, I know personal preferences etc also factor.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I think the most annoying are Amazon, especially when you're asked to review the packaging or it's a book you've bought for a present! I just CBA to do so!