1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Product Preview Help

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by English_Republic, Oct 21, 2019.

1. English_Republic

English_Republic New commenter

Can anyone guide me to a tutorial about how to make a product preview?

I am new to TES and am still figuring things out. It seems that sellers are able to upload long files encompassing several A4 pages as previews. Are these image files or pdf files?

I can't seem to upload pdfs (Is it possible?) as previews and when I upload long images that I've produced in either PowerPoint or Canva they just appear as these long slivery images. Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Sincerely,

Lost and Confused

2. bekastks

bekastks New commenter

I didn't know you could upload PDF preview or more than one page of image previews on TES. I'm going to look over that later to try it. I'd like to be able to upload PDF previews. The autogenerated preview sometimes gives you more than one page, but for paid usually just one or two preview pages. I hope someone else answers with some insight! I'd very much like to know more about this.

English_Republic likes this.
  3. wordsmithDFA

wordsmithDFA New commenter

No expert but you can only upload images, as far as I know.

You can upload an image for each document included and add one page per upload but PDF previews aren't an option.

The only time I've ever seen multiple page previews are on free ones.

4. wordsmithDFA

wordsmithDFA New commenter

5. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

The long files you see are likely to be automated previews. On a free resource this will show the whole document but automated previews for a paid resource will not show a whole document unless it is only one page in length. On paid resources, an algorithm selects up to half the pages/slides (depending on the document length) as the automated preview. If you would prefer only a select part of the file to be visible you can create a custom image to upload instead, but this must be an image file.

Many authors will have their own preferred ways to create custom previews. I would suggest that you create a single presentation slide or document page which shows what you would like to be visible. You can then use a screenshot or Snipping Tool (which is pre-installed on all Windows computers) to select what you want to save as your custom image file. Unfortunately we are unable to provide specific details on how to use various software to edit your images, but other authors may be able to give you some suggestions.

I hope this advice is helpful.

[Richard]

bekastks likes this.
  6. bekastks

bekastks New commenter

Yes, I looked over previews again to see if there was a new feature that allows PDF preview. No, there is not. As everyone has said, images only. And yes, the free resources have previews of all pages, so that's probably what you are seeing. If you want to create your own previews that show more of your work, you can create JPG images from Canva or Power Point. I have started using flyer size template in Canva for previews. Not sure what sized template you would want to use in Power Point. I suggest adding thumbnail images of your work to your template; add a variety that showcases your work. I'd also suggest adding your logo to your preview page. I've only just begun to do this; creating preview pages is on my to do list.

7. English_Republic

English_Republic New commenter

Thanks for all your answers. It's been very helpful.