1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Product Design Interview -Suggestions please!!! :)

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by hcaprani, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hello all,
    I have just been invited to an interview for a Product Design post (It will be my NQT year so my first interview-eek!)
    I have been told that I have to teach a 1 hour lesson (classroom based) to either a year 7 or 8 group and it can be on anything I like relating to Product Design. Wondered if anyone had any suggestions at all as I feel daunted by the freedom I have been given! I have seen a lot of Product Analysis suggestions so maybe would be a good idea to steer away from this as there are 3 other candidates and I feel it may be a popular choice of topic to cover!

Any help/suggestions/advice will be HUGELY appreciated!

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Sustainability: Big issue right now and rightfully so!

1) Give the class a quick intro, explain/ give loose definition of sustainability
    2) Throw it back to the class, can they suggest a product which they feel to be sustainable?
    Challenge them, don't accept first answer, why is it sustainable? is it all good or are there bad points as well? Can a product ever be truly sustainable? Allow the discussion to grow, do not panic, bring it back to you when you need to move on.

3) Ask them to come up with a set of rules, these will determine whether a product is sustainable or not, do not lead, make them own these rules, there are countless possibilites. Get the other pupils to challenge the rules.
    4) Have a display with various objects, pens, cars, Mc D's packaging etc etc. Get them to judge and articulate their answers using the rules they designed and that they believe in, notice THEY not you!
    5) At the end show them a stock pile of fridges in a dump, sustainable or not? Get some opinions. Then leave them with this!! If we did not have fridges, how much more packaging would food require, additives, improvers, increased transport with heavier packaing, increased distribution of additives etc, more waste food product, disposal and collection of waste food product. The Fridge looks like the sustainability devil but is it a saint? You do not answer this, their and only their answer will determine the effectiveness of the lesson and ultimately the actual learning that has taken place.
    Hope this gives you some ideas and may the force be with you!
    Cheers
    Spencer

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I have to go against what Spencer has suggested (although
    it sounds great!) and pass on what Theo said on the jobseekers forum to
    another candidate seeking ideas:

So I'd steer well clear of Spencers suggestions (whilst banking it for when you do get the job!)

Best of Luck x

4. Completely take on board your point!
    I was just looking for suggestions on topics, and wouldn't deliver a lesson that I hadn't planned myself for the interview! It would be too cringeworthy getting caught out!
    After seeing so much on 'Product Analysis' in forums, I can imagine interviewers regularly see lessons which are VERY similar, so I was just looking for different suggestions for an overall topic.
    Thank you so much for your suggestion Spencer- I do think it is a great topic to cover and will perhaps look into coming up with my own take on it :)
    Littlemiss, thanks for your wise advice- how awkward it would be if 4 candidates delivered the same lesson!

5. I did some interview lessons on sustainability, and packaging production. One of them got me the job, the other was well recieved, but went to a more experienced candidate.... You could also do some rebranding, depending on where your strengths lie