1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Procrastinator

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Aug 3, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

This year there was a big jumble up of staff from their usual year groups. I will still teach the same year group but I will be working with new colleagues. I am finding the attitude of one colleague in particular quite difficult to work with. He is a procrastinator and feels he needs to check everything with the headteacher. He is more senior than me and I don't feel that some of his 'checking' is necessary. It also puts doubt in people's minds that we are working well together and that the team is doing well in general.
    I am worried about working with him because I am confident in my role and like to get things done quickly but he is senior management team and things seem to take ages to get done. I don't want work to become my life where we are there until the wee hours planning something that should take half an hour.
    Also I am a little annoyed that the things I was asked to do this summer (planning of 3 foundation subjects) was not acknowledged when I sent them onto the team. I put a lot of effort into the planning and resources and even though they know I sent them they haven't even acknowledged that I did it let alone say thank you. Needless to say I haven't had their planning yet.
    I'm not sure why I am posting this but if anyone has any bright ideas of how to survive the year I would love to hear them.

2. slippeddisc

I've just realised I made it sound like planning should take half an hour. not what I meant.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not fully sure what you are wanting. It seems to me that you are the kind of person who does all their work in the first week and sends it all off to everyone, which is fine. Your colleagues seem to be the sort of people who have a break and then do all the work in the last week, which is also fine. Patience, tolerance and understanding will be needed in bucket loads.

If things don't get done because your colleague wants to run things by the HT, then think carefully whether you need to ask your colleague first. Can you just make the decision and then tell them. They may be more senior to you, but in terms of sharing a year group there is no seniority, you are both just class teachers.

4. slippeddisc

I have no problem with them doing work in the last week but an email to say they'd received mine would be good. I told them verbally so they know I've sent it but a little thank you wouldn't go amiss. I would thank them if they'd sent work.
    He is my team leader so regardless of us both being teachers in the team he wouldn't allow me to just make decisions.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They may not be checking work emails at the moment and so haven't actually seen you email. I know that is a pain, and I use email the way many people use texting (we have no mobile reception at home) so don't fully understand the not looking at emails for days at a time, but apparently people don't. You just have to get used to it.

The working together thing is trickier. Being your team leader means he is responsible for the team dynamics and so if the HT thinks you aren't working well, it will be down to the team leader to sort it out. Don't worry about that part. But do separate tasks that are for a team leader and those that any classteacher could take responsibility for. The team leader tasks you need to leave to him, classteacher ones just get on with. You can always say things like 'I think this would be a good idea, I've looked into it and here is the information and planning. I've copied it to the HT for information as well.' Also any decisions made verbally, like who will do what planning, need to be followed up by an email. So something like 'Just checking to make sure I'm correct, don't want to mess things up, but we did say that I would ......and that you would.......all by Friday afternoon, didn't we? Let me know if this isn't right.' Then don't expect to get bits from him until the Friday afternoon, but if nothing appears then go to the HT or DH and ask for their support.

6. slippeddisc

Thanks Minx

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh and keep a cushion in your classroom that you can punch when you need to!

8. slippeddisc

Good idea!

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Excellent advice all round from the minx, I would add that a printout of your colleague's face, pinned to said cushion, might add a certain frisson to any de-stressing you undertake .... but don't leave it on there

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOl becktonboy, that works for the cushion you keep at home! Or, as it is at home, a dartboard with said face also works well!

Working with someone who works in a totally different way to you can drive you nuts. Oceans of patience and a willingness to just do your own thing and not worry if they do things differently or not at all is also needed. Sod them and do what you need to do is sometimes (not always) the best thing.

11. slippeddisc

Love it Beckton!
    You are totally right. It is just different ways of working and I need to be more tolerant! Thanks for making me see sense.

12. If your colleague is on the SMT then it maybe the expectation that he checks some things with the Head teacher. He is answerable to them after all (as you are too). I would rather have things checked and approved then assumed to be ok.
    This is the Summer break and there is no requirement to meet deadlines of any kind unless agreed before the break, that things would be done over the holidays.
    I have not checked my emails from work and will not be doing so. I do not expect any emails from work. I'm in touch with some teachers from work but that is by text.
    I will be forwarding some work to them but I wouldn't expect an immediate response and when they did I wouldn't expect a special thank you.
    There maybe very good reasons as to why he has not replied - illness, holiday etc.
    Everyone works in different ways. We get paid to work with anyone employed in school. I don't necessarily get on with everyone I work with in the same way but I'm working someone in September who I previously barely spoke to but from texts and support received from her since we've been told we're planning together have been great. Likewise I have been equally supportive.
    You just need to put your differences behind you. What you say to a child who said "I don't like working in Purple group, can I work with Orange ?".