1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Processing Data

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by MrMusic, Jan 18, 2012.

1. MrMusic

MrMusic New commenter

Our school produces so much data and I often feel a little overwhelmed by it all. I recently had my meeting with my Line Manager and felt a little under prepared because I wasn't looking and understanding the data.
    Any tried and testing methods people use to help with this?

2. finamar

finamar New commenter

Try reading through it with a colleague in school... I'm sure there will be many with similar concerns.

3. I too think there is far too much data - it can serve a useful purpose but these days it is complete overkill. I have got to the stage when I will use what I need but I am not going to let it rule my life. The FFT D targets are always way too optimistic in my subject anyway so I just adjust them to what I think are realistic grades. Dealing with irrelevant data takes up valuable time I could use for planning and marking which I think are of far more value.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

This is not the way you deal with data. First you decide what you want to find out. You then generate the data required so that it may be analysed.
    Until analysed it is just noise.