1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Process when ending a temporary contract

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by thedivisionbell20, Apr 6, 2019.

1. thedivisionbell20

thedivisionbell20 New commenter

I was hired on a maternity contract. A permanent position came up at the school but for various reasons I decided not to apply to it (I am looking for other jobs) and let my line manager know this.

My question is, is it expected to personally let the head know/personally ask for a reference?

I am an NQT so don't really have a clue!

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You are planning to continue until th end of the contract though, until the permanent postholder returns from M/L though?

You know when it is expected to finish (although postholder may return from M/L, and your contract terminated, earlier) so the school will expect you to be looking for other jobs and for the head to given as a reference. Under safeguarding 'rules' you must give the headteacher of your current school as a referee. It is a professional courtesy, and normal practice, though to ask the head whether they are willing to be a referee, and to let the head know you are applying for other jobs.

3. thedivisionbell20

thedivisionbell20 New commenter

Thanks for your reply- yes I am planning on continue until the end of the contract.

My concern is that it's difficult to get hold of the head in person, I would most likely get a meeting but it could take up to a week or longer.
    Would it be acceptable to ask this over email? It is mainly because of the time constraints I have in trying to find another job, as some of them expire before (I think) I would be able to get a meeting with the head.

I would have done this a lot earlier but my decision is quite recent and I'm fairly sure my line manager will let the head know about my decision regardless- obviously I know it is better to hear it from me but I'm also worried that the head would expect a reason for me not applying for the permanent position and I'd end up just saying the wrong thing.

It's of course slightly different from a permanent contract as that's a situation where the head would assume that I'd be continuing, whereas in these circumstances it was always the case that the contract would be ending- so my justification is that email is slightly more acceptable in this situation than it would if it was a permanent contract?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Given that you are on a M/L contract I'd say it was fine to do by email. People are usually advised on here that it's best to see head in person to explain why they are leaving, hopefully it will get a better reference, but in your case it's obvious to head why you are looking for other jobs. Just add to the email "... I'm happy to come and talk to you about this if you like me to" or some such.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Absolutely

But sometimes it can be difficult to pin them down. An e-mail expressing hope for a discussion is often the best way.

Piranha likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I agree with the comments above, but would also add (as someone who completed several fixed term, maternity & other, contracts), I often had a word with the HT's PA, explained the situation and said something like: 'Do I need to see the HT in person, or can I just send a note'? The PA almost always said: 'Send a note, but I'll let him/her know in person' or 'You can nip in now/at .... to see them briefly'...

strawbs and Piranha like this.