1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Process for being signed off work by a GP

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by femott, Nov 13, 2016.

1. femott

femott New commenter

Hi,
    I'm currently 32 weeks pregnant and want to start maternity leave now rather than at 37 weeks like I originally told work.
    I am finding that my and my baby's health is at risk from the stress and pressures of work.
    School can't find a replacement till my original end date and so I'm planning on seeing the GP to get signed off work ill. I've never been signed off before and would like advice on how I inform school. Do I ring, email or take the note in personally?
    Thank you.

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Firstly, congratulations on your impending arrival!
    Go to the GP and explain exactly how you're feeling. You need to be 100% open and honest - don't fudge anything at all. If you've noticed Braxton Hicks after getting stressed, tell the GP. If you're struggling to sleep, tell the GP. It's no good in this situation being British-stiff-upper-lipped. They need to know the whole picture.
    The GP is the one who decides whether to sign you off or not. They may issue you a note instead which asks for amendments or adjustments to your working conditions. You then post or scan/email the note in to work. I've let work know by phone that I'm signed off, posted the note in and followed up with an email to make absolutely certain they're aware of what's going on.
    I hope you feel better soon. And good luck with the baby!

knitone and FrankWolley like this.
  3. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

As above, but your school will begin official maternity leave at an earlier point. I think absence within four weeks of due date triggers it? Best to check.
    School can get supply cover from an agency - so just see the GP and stop worrying about work!

DYNAMO67 and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I was going to say what cornflake mentioned about getting a supply teacher - just one phone call and they will have someone in. Supply agencies are usually available to take calls 24/7 as they have one consultant always able to take calls for bookings. In any event, that is not your worry, but a matter for the school, so take cornflake's excellent advice and stop worrying about work.

Enjoy your time off getting rested and looking forward to the arrival of your new baby.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Just phone in sick like normal and post in the paper the doctor gives you. It's best to take a picture or otherwise copy it before you send it as things can get lost and it's good to have a copy to keep you right about dates as well.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

hooray! congratulations! concentrate on you and the baby, the school and its management are nowhere on your list of priorities right now, don't give them a second thought. Just do what is right for you

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think the getting signed off bit is no issue at all. It is the implications for dates of maternity that is the bigger issue for you. I don't know a great deal about it, but check like @cornflake says

8. femott

femott New commenter

Thank you for your support. I believe they could start my maternity leave from 36 weeks, but I'm going back for the last day in July so have plenty of maternity leave to use now if needed.