1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with Chair

Discussion in 'Governors' started by harsh-but-fair, Nov 21, 2011.

1. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Interesting; only last year you said you were a classroom teacher ....

I kmow it's bordering on pedantry but there are no longer LEAs and you are not their representative on the governing body.

2. Worked for 20 years before becoming a teacher, paperwork says I'm an LEA rep.

Nice to know the spirit of helpfulness is still alive & kicking.

3. Don't worry about Harsh but fair.

In the spirit of helpfulness rather than sad ego inflating flaming I would say that the chair is acting well outside of the guidelines and it is unlikely that you are alone in feeling like this. As the LEA rep you might want to talk to the LEA about it. This often happens to chairs they become somewhat power mad and nepotism is the order of the day. Don't allow yourself to be called silly and bring up at the next meeting that your experience is being misused. If you are patronised ask firmly but politely that you are not patronised. You will be able to cut the air with a knife but the only reason the chair can get away with this is because no-one stands in their way.

Best of luck...I've been there...I'm the Head btw and the Chair is no longer a problem

4. there are more shades of grey than you might think between independent and state sector and good governance is good governance wherever...oh and as for qualification 10 years in education will do me tyvm...I mean I could do the NPQH... and should I wish to venture into the state sector I will, but tbh an awful lot of the qualification is about the aspects of the job I actually have a lot of previous experience in like man-management, motivation, disciplinary issues etc. If sometimes I seem modest and defer to those with 20 years experience in education it is because I do not presume to know everything..unlike you who seem to presume to know everything about me when actually you know very little.

My first year as HT has just gone rather well actually..ty for asking. I just find the constant flaming of people to pander to your own mood or ego rather rude and uneccessary.

5. Dear Walnuthead and Sulla88BC. Thank you for your support and help. Your advice was helpful and greatfully received.

To be attacked by Harshbutfair - or just 'harsh' to his/her friends - was both upsetting and depressing; after all, all I did was ask for help. I've no idea what his/her problem is, but it's obviously a big one - and having taken on your advice about standing up for myself with bullys I've decided to start by reporting Harsh to the moderator. No doubt s/he will then just start up under a different name and re-attack us all again...

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Errr ... which of my two points was an 'attack'?

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Hard to tell, as it's hard to tell what the point of your posts on this thread were.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

OP, you are doing this post voluntarily. Your motivation for doing so will tell you what you should do next. If you think you can improve things on this governing body, stay on it, and say exactly what you think, and tell the LA what you think if it is badly run. Or if you think you don't want to have your name down as part of this incompetent bunch of governors then leave and say what you think to a body that matters e.g. LA, OFSTED.
    There are good and bad governing bodies. If you want the experience of working on a well-run one, ask the LA for suggestions of really good ones ....... hopefully they will know.
    Why are worried about not getting on another one? If it's as bad as you say and no-one dares to say anything it won't improve.