1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with British Gas debt collection - rented out property

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I had a couple of phone calls at work before Christmas from British Gas asking me to phone back. No number, and I am not with BG so I ignored them. Finally I spoke to someone in Bombay or somewhere, who informed me that I owed them a sum of money and that if I didn't pay up they would be taking legal action. I went up the wall and told them how dare they, I had not received any bills etc etc (it turned out the bills were in connection with a property I had bought months before but not received any bills for). Anyway, I told them to clear off and send me a proper bill. I have found out subsequently that the tenants who moved into the house in August, did not send in meter readings. This is BG's story, tenants are very clear that they did. My own fault - I should have done it myself but it was a nightmare getting them in on time and I didn't. I have phoned BG several times and explained that of course I will pay anything I owe but explained that I cannot pay the bills from August onwards. Asked them to check the meter reading situation. They are claiming that as the bills are still in my name I am still responsible.
    I started to receive letters threatening legal action etc, and phoned them explaining the situation. They said I still had to pay.Asked how much I could pay to show willing, whilst awaiting sort-out of the bills. They couldn't bloody understand English for a start, so I couldn't get an answer. Phoned them on receipt of the next letter, explained the situation and asked them to bear with me. Then got another actual bill from BG. Contacted them, explained the situation and got a bit further; they did say though that I was legally liable. (I do understand that, I am just asking them to check the situation and bill the tenants for what they have paid). A couple of days later i got another letter, phoned BG again. I spoke to a really nice guy, he spoke English and everything. He said that if the readings could not be confirmed they would generate an estimated bill based on usage and the readings they have. He assured me that I wouldn't be getting any more letters, and I assured him that as soon as I get a bill I will pay it. What a relief.
    And guess what? A final, Final demand today telling me I will be incurring legal charges, the bailiffs may come round etc etc.
    I tried to phone but it was too late tonight when I opened the letter, so it will have to be tomorrow now. Would be grateful for any advice, please. I can pay the bill with no problem, and the fault is mine to some extent because I cannot have phoned through the meter readings at the time. I am pretty sure that the tenants DID phone the readings through, although of course I have no proof of that.

2. I had a couple of phone calls at work before Christmas from British Gas asking me to phone back. No number, and I am not with BG so I ignored them. Finally I spoke to someone in Bombay or somewhere, who informed me that I owed them a sum of money and that if I didn't pay up they would be taking legal action. I went up the wall and told them how dare they, I had not received any bills etc etc (it turned out the bills were in connection with a property I had bought months before but not received any bills for). Anyway, I told them to clear off and send me a proper bill. I have found out subsequently that the tenants who moved into the house in August, did not send in meter readings. This is BG's story, tenants are very clear that they did. My own fault - I should have done it myself but it was a nightmare getting them in on time and I didn't. I have phoned BG several times and explained that of course I will pay anything I owe but explained that I cannot pay the bills from August onwards. Asked them to check the meter reading situation. They are claiming that as the bills are still in my name I am still responsible.
    I started to receive letters threatening legal action etc, and phoned them explaining the situation. They said I still had to pay.Asked how much I could pay to show willing, whilst awaiting sort-out of the bills. They couldn't bloody understand English for a start, so I couldn't get an answer. Phoned them on receipt of the next letter, explained the situation and asked them to bear with me. Then got another actual bill from BG. Contacted them, explained the situation and got a bit further; they did say though that I was legally liable. (I do understand that, I am just asking them to check the situation and bill the tenants for what they have paid). A couple of days later i got another letter, phoned BG again. I spoke to a really nice guy, he spoke English and everything. He said that if the readings could not be confirmed they would generate an estimated bill based on usage and the readings they have. He assured me that I wouldn't be getting any more letters, and I assured him that as soon as I get a bill I will pay it. What a relief.
    And guess what? A final, Final demand today telling me I will be incurring legal charges, the bailiffs may come round etc etc.
    I tried to phone but it was too late tonight when I opened the letter, so it will have to be tomorrow now. Would be grateful for any advice, please. I can pay the bill with no problem, and the fault is mine to some extent because I cannot have phoned through the meter readings at the time. I am pretty sure that the tenants DID phone the readings through, although of course I have no proof of that.