1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problems uploading cover image

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Krazikas, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I am currently having problems getting my cover image the correct size for resources. The new image uploader has a cropping tool and it will not allow me to keep the whole of the image - it cuts it off because the cropping tool does not span the whole of the box. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Or does anyone know how to get an image to fit into the box? Any help would be appreciated!

Karen

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  2. cliftonc

cliftonc Guest

@Krazikas the editor is designed to only allow images of the same height / width ratio that is used across the site (this is to make sure all the images don't get stretched or squashed in the various thumbnails).

You have two options really: Use the cropping tool to take the part of the image that is most relevant - e.g. the top half usually, OR, edit the image in an editing tool and add white spacing to the sides that are too small, when doing it this way then simply make the image 800x600.

There are free and open source image editors available (if you don't already have one), there is a good list here (also includes paid ones): https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/19/25-alternatives-to-photoshop-image-editing

Krazikas likes this.
  3. cliftonc

cliftonc Guest

To add some more context, before we added the cover image uploader (with the cropping tool), we used to take a picture of the first page of the first document, and then take the piece of it from the top left, going across and down until we reached the right size.

This meant that for portrait documents we always chopped it off a bit over half way down the page, for landscape documents it would show the whole page as the cover image.

4. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

Thank you for your advice.