1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problems to watch clips on some sites

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by margie2, Jan 5, 2011.

1. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Sometimes, if you click to watch a clip, instead of the actual clip, you get a blank square, with a strange "logo" on the top left-handside, a small square with inside: a red square, a blue triangle and a green round. Why is that and how do you get to actually watch the clip?

2. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Sometimes, if you click to watch a clip, instead of the actual clip, you get a blank square, with a strange "logo" on the top left-handside, a small square with inside: a red square, a blue triangle and a green round. Why is that and how do you get to actually watch the clip?

3. I am not 100% sure (if at all) what you are talking about. My guess is that you are missing a plug-in. You may want to check/update flash player?
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    It would be helpful to know the browser (the thing that pops up when you go on the internet - it has a long bar at the top with a bar underneath with writing in and a big box with writing and pictures [​IMG] ) you are using and the site (i.e. which 'clip').

4. It sounds like your web browser is missing a plugin, probably either Flash or Apple's Quicktime. If this is a school computer, ask your network manager or whoever takes care of the system to install the appropriate plugin on your computer (or system-wide). If Quicktime is needed, you might do better to install Quicktime Alternative, whichsllows you to view Quicktime video but doesn't come with iTunes and other network-unfriendly gubbins.

5. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks ICTBN and dhicks (it's on my own PC).
    I remember trying to install one of these programmes (Adobe Flash I think) a while ago and it tried to install a security (anti-virus?) software that I did not want (not sure which one), I think I cancelled it halfway through as I already had (and still do) AVG version 9.0 and did not want the whole thing to bring its own problems. I thought at the time I could do without Flash but it is becoming apparent that something is missing on my PC as there are loads of clips I cannot watch.
    What shall I do if it comes with its own security software, would it conflict with my current version of AVG?

6. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

Yes, Install Flash Player and also Flash Shockwave player,
    generally the best peice of kit I know out there to remedy playback problems
    is the Ki-Lite Codec Pack (Download the 'full' version and then set Media Player Classic
    to default to play everything)... which it WILL!

http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

7. margie2

margie2 New commenter

OK, thanks Dhicks and John, I'm going to try now.

8. margie2

margie2 New commenter

OK, it's worked, I can watch my clips now! Thanks again to ICTBN, dhicks and John.
    However, looks like I've ended up with McAfee though... There is a McAfee Security Scan Plus icon on my desktop, when I clicked on Install, it installed it at the same time as Flash Player, unavoidable, I hope it won't conflict with my AVG and mess things up.