1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problems teaching abroad - The TES Magazine

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by RVaughan1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am trying to write a piece for The TES about instances where the dream of teaching abroad turns into more of a nightmare.
    While I will be at pains to point out that the vast majority of teaching jobs abroad work out very well, and will be giving accounts of this, I would really like to speak to people who have not had a successful time of it.
    If you do have any stories, please feel free to email me richard.vaughan@tes.co.uk
    All the best,
    Richard Vaughan
    Reporter
    TES

2. If the moderators didn't keep deleting so many of the threads here Richard you could pull plenty of horror stories straight from these pages. [​IMG]

3. Howsthat is spot on. Plenty stories for you on this forum that have been deleted. For example, TES Jobs recently had adverts for January jobs in a school in China. That school has its staff working on tourist visas and has done so since August 11. This is illegal and a nightmare for the teachers who have moved over there. Just one example of many.

4. Thank you for replying howsthat and fleetingsound. I was not aware that our moderators have deleted such posts. Do either of you know anyone who might be able to speak to me about their experiences? if you would prefer to email me plaese do: richard.vaughan@tes.co.uk or you can call on 0203 194 3299. It can be as anonymous as you like.
    Many thanks.

5. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

If the censorship of the magazine is similar to the censorship on the board then your story might never see the light of day.
    If it does, while it may give detials of hellish situations teachers have found themselves in, it will not be able to name the schools and will therefore not be able to warn other teachers to avoid said schools.

Sad but true.

6. Put your request to International Schools Review; their blogs and forum are available to everyone, without membership.

7. Richard, were you looking for me? I think you may have been tipped off about a particular spicy Easterly located story. I agree, it is of some newsworthiness to your non-teaching readers and clearly of benefit of those seeking experiences beyond those, coping at the chalkface in Post Economic Crisis Britain.
    However, some brave souls (myself included) have endured the most humiliating experience of all who leave their home shores in search of career and personal development. That is, the failure and meltdown of a school I was trying to improve, add value and professionally invest in. I have been duped and fooled. I have encountered the worst aspects of international schooling, the fiscal irresponsibility of the businessman who perceives the un-regulated international education industry as a gold mine, a bounty of continued profit in a world of capital uncertainty.
    These Education Capital Adventurers employ ex state-trained teacher/managers. The worst type of teaching manager is a director of the most mediocre type to lend credibility to their schooling factory. Well paid and smugly patronising, these disgraceful Muppets happily, in my case, slavishly provide a veneer of educational purpose until something or someone gets in their way.
    Like me and so many at my little Chinese factory, we were led to believe that working illegally for 5 months (while a little disconcerting) would pass and we could all go on, lying to parents, enduring the late payment of salary, non payment of local staff and local suppliers (to the sum of millions) that finally led to the catastrophic meltdown of the whole box and dice.
    Unfortunately, you work for a bastion of democratic press freedom, the very same who casually deleted most of my (and others) consistent attempts to save colleagues from a similar embarrassment. Go to your editor, ask them to retrieve the many posts that point to this issue. A public explanation, apology or retraction from those Moderators who decided this story was too hot to handle, would prise open my email account and let forth.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The terms and conditions of this forum are quite clear to anyone who bothers to read them.

9. Richard, I suggest you get Gail and Bev to show you all the stuff that has been deleted over the past few years.

10. That's alot (Brit. ed. system...) to jam into a pipe and smoke! [​IMG]

11. Over-cautious moderation is not just a recent phenomenon, I remember reading some disappearing posts about certain schools in Qatar where a colleague was applying to way back in 2000. Given that there have probably been several changes to the forum's backend, it also wouldn't surprise me if some of the oldest missing posts are permanently deleted from the database.

And remember, in many cases, you won't find out how good or bad a school's management are until something happens to test them - from the TES newspaper archives, four stories about Kuwait from 2003:

My international experience has been mainly positive though, so it wouldn't make interesting reading...

12. All that remains from a stream of warnings to those who were not told that they were joining a school that had illegal teachers working. Four teachers that arrived in Shanghai were unaware that they would be working illegally, for an indeterminate time.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/539673/7165925.aspx#7165925
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/539034/7159043.aspx#7159043
    Generally the range of posts, while passionate, did not use any name of persons or organisations and in fact, applied the same rhetoric applied to previous posts on other schools.

13. I have responded Richard. Can you?

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Richard, it was great to chat to you the other evening. Good luck with the TES article.
    The issue of posts getting deleted by the TES moderators is one that keeps cropping up. In some cases, teachers genuinely want to help other teachers to avoid working at a certain school that has treated their staff very shabbily. (I think that I mentioned to you one school in the UAE where the medical insurance provided was pretty useless.) On the other hand, there are, I am sure, plenty of cases when the posts on this forum that are really just sour grapes and personal vendettas. Of course the TES does not want to get involved in legal action and find itself being sued by a school that has been slagged off on this forum. Well, in these circumstances I would understand the TES deleting posts that mention specific schools. The problem is that the TES moderators are really pretty slack and lazy. Sometimes they delete a post straight away and sometimes there are posts that mention specific schools and they are left on the forum for months, if not years! If there really is a rule about not mentioning specific schools, then the TES moderators should enforce that rule in a fair and equitable manner. They don't. That is probably why so many people get steamed up about this business of deleted posts.
    With regard to The International Schools' Review, I would recommend those of the name-and-shame brigade to write some reviews. Of course a lot of the reviews that are already on the ISR website are pretty poisonous and vitriolic, so a few more probably would not do any harm. Then the TES moderators would not have to bother deleting their posts on this forum. (Half the time they can't be bothered to do it anyway.)

15. Hello the hippo
    I understand that it can be frustrating when posts are removed that mention schools, either explicitly or by implication. The problem is that we don't have the resources necessary to validate and investigate the claims made by so many contributors about specific schools and it's because these claims could potentially be libellous that we have to remove them.
    I can assure you that the TES moderators are absolutely NOT 'pretty slack and lazy'. But we do have thousands of posts made across 100 forums daily and we rely on the good will of our users to report any posts that might break our terms and conditions. As soon as we get an email we investigate and take action. If there are threads that you see that do name schools we would really appreciate it if you could let us know by hitting the Report Abuse so that we can respond quickly.
    Best wishes
    Gail
    Web Production Manager

16. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

All this may or may not be true, but posts are sometimes deleted for no other reason than that a disgruntled head -- who paid for ads in the TES -- took exception to a general comment. I once had a post deleted because I had the temerity to suggest that levels of pay at British schools in Spain were very low... They still are. I wonder if Mr .... will complain again and get this post deleted....

17. Interesting selection of featured employers this week on the international jobs section.

18. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Is the TES becoming the new Daily Mail? Teaching abroad is full of problems? Teaching in the UK is a bed of roses?

19. Absolutely Lunarita, I have invited Richard Vaughan to communicate with me but I fear the story may be too hot or too distant or too relevant for his readers. Perhaps there is too much genuine research required. After all, I am here and NOW, I and my 79 colleagues are in the present time, in the worst case scenario of teaching abroad.
    It maybe easier and cheaper to cobble something together from interviewing the 'older' serving members of our quaint little club, a quick quote, a simple pullout, two thousand words and bob's your uncle. A nice colour story for those contemplating a teaching sabbatical in the sun.
    What no pictures?