1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problems returning to work

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by thefutureisbright, Dec 16, 2016.

1. thefutureisbright

thefutureisbright New commenter

Hi there. I hope someone may be able to help. I am on a 0.4 contract following previous maternity leave. I worked 3 days one week and 1 day the next. As I left in May when they did the new timetable in September classes were merged so no cover was brought in for me. They are therefore coping fine without me. I got in touch at the very beginning of November to ask what I'd be working when i return in February. He sent me a form to fill out at the beginning of December but I got advice and was told i didn't need to complete it. I emailed last Thursday to say that I don't need to fill out the form and simply need to know what days I will be working. The head has still not responded. This is stressing me out hugely as I don't feel I can prepare for leaving my children when I don't know the days I will be working. I feel he doesn't want me to return but I need the money and do not have the money to repay the extra matrrnity. Anyone had any experience or know what is deemed reasonable in knowing what days you will be working? Many thanks in advance.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

What was on the form that you didn't want to complete?

It sounds like they may have made the assumption that you might well not return - it's not uncommon for people not to return after the second child, especially if close together, as childcare costs are high. It would be very annoying to timetable you in, recruit someone to cover six months, only to find you didn't return.

Now they presumably have to decide what you will do on return. They can't just tell you not to come back - you have the right to return, so they will have to have you and find you something to do. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any rules on when you have to be notified of working days. Talk to your union, ask for an appointment at school. It may be worth giving the head a specific date - "I need to confirm days with my children's nursery by <date>"; it's often easier to deal with "this needs to be done by 10th January" than "this needs to be done soon".

3. thefutureisbright

thefutureisbright New commenter

Thanks very much for your reply. It was a flexible working request form but I wasn't asking to change my contract, just to know what days I'll be working. Union said to not fill it in because you can only submit one a year in case I needed to submit one later on. Will chase again next week. Thanks again.