1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

problems on placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by wheelsonfire1, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I do not have much contact with other trainees and was wondering whether it is usual to be regularly observed by my mentor and other members of the department? There are concerns about my progress but the staff do not seem to communicate between themselves about my teaching so different issues are raised every lesson and then I am seen by someone else who focuses on something else so I am getting very confused!

2. I do not have much contact with other trainees and was wondering whether it is usual to be regularly observed by my mentor and other members of the department? There are concerns about my progress but the staff do not seem to communicate between themselves about my teaching so different issues are raised every lesson and then I am seen by someone else who focuses on something else so I am getting very confused!

3. In theory, (most) trainees are supernumerary and should always have a regular member of the teaching staff in the room with them. So, yes, being frequently observed is normal. However, whether they carry out formal observations every lesson or not will depend on the member of staff.
    As far as focussed observations are concerned, I found it more useful to tell the teacher what I wanted them to focus on - not only does this help you develop as a teacher but it can lead to some good evidence for your QTS folders.

4. It will be useful for you in your exit appraisal to have had so many observations, I had my exit appriasal yesterday with my mentor (who has seen me teach for 3 lessons including that one yesterday) his judgement to my link tutor was that I haven't made as much progress as he thought I should - though how he can judge this in such a limited number of observations I do not know also he hasn't told me this to my face or done anything to help me. You should be happy to have so many people watching you I'm left to myself 80% teaching and not even a TA we could watch films all day and no one would know. In actual fact I think I do some very good lessons and deserve far better than the satisfactory with good features they have awarded me for my hard slog over the last 4 weeks. I feel very let down by the lack of attention to my training.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your 'satisfactory with good features' was for the individual lesson they saw, not for your work over the last four weeks. No one gives you a grade for working hard and it would be silly to do so. Some people work very hard, but are not much more then useless. Others seem to do very little work, but are fabulous teachers.

To the OP have a sit down with your mentor and ask for some specific targets that you need to work on. Then insist that everyone who observes you adheres to those targets for improvement only. Having lots of people observe is good, but they do all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet.