1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problems finding job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by louise_richards852, Dec 6, 2018.

1. louise_richards852

louise_richards852 New commenter

I am looking for advice. I am a UK trained teacher but I have recently returned to England from teaching abroad and am finding it very hard to get employed. I have had 6 interviews and it has only been the first one that gave me any kind of feedback about why I didn’t get the job. The others just ignore my requests for feedback. In some cases I have found that they already know who they are going to give the job to before the interview even takes place.

My last interview, I thought went well, but then I was told I wasn’t as experienced as the other teacher. I have been teaching for 14 years, have been head of department and head of year.

Maybe it’s because I taught iGCSE and IB before I came back to England? And if that is the case I am in a catch 22 position- need experience teaching GCSE and A level to get a job, but need a job to gain the experience.

All my confidence is being eroded quickly. I was a very successful teacher for 10 years with my students achieving the top grades in the school (100% A*/A and 90% IBDP level 7) but for some reason I just can’t get a job here.

Can anyone give me advice on what to do? How can I make myself more suitable to work in England? How can i solve the catch 22 situation?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. MsBehaving

MsBehaving New commenter

Hi

It can be tough getting back into it. You certainly have an excellent track record. Forgive me if you have answered this (I'm using my phone on the train, functionality limited) but what subject/s and position are you applying for? That might make a difference. Are you looking within a city or outside? Time of year. And, yes, unfortunately, you are right... a school might have a candidate in mind.

That's all before the possibility of anything you are doing.

Sorry it's not advice as such but just keep at it. Practice the obvious stuff like safeguarding. 14 years is not to be sniffed at... best of luck

TEA2111 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Six interviews isn't all that many, especially if yours isn't a shortage subject.
    Yeps it probably is this. You have all kinds of experience, but none in GCSE and A-Level, which is what schools will be looking for. You will, presumably, be expecting to be paid at the upper end of the pay scale, yet a school can save themselves ten grand or so and appoint someone who has more experience, but fewer years teaching. Unless you are applying for HOY or HOD roles, that experience won't count for much.
    Supply teaching is probably the way to go. Once schools see you doing brilliantly, they'll very probably offer you a job.
    There is a theory (possibly erroneous) that international schools tend to be very selective. So a pass rate of 100% A/A* might not count for much in a headteacher's mind if they believe you were in a high achieving selective school. You'll need to explain in your application.

Best of luck, keep trying and do supply while you wait.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Perhaps you could mark this year for one of the exam boards at GCSE and use this to show you have improved your knowledge of the curriculum at gcse in your subject. Also, maybe apply for temporary long term jobs and you will gain experience of the key stage 4 stuff and may also be kept on. Just a thought. I'd be impressed if I was a HT that you had gone to such lengths to improve and get to know the curriculum in the UK after working so long abroad.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

The only problem with marking exams is that you need references AND recent teaching experience *

*i examine both GCSE and A-level, but not the topic that I have a PhD in and wrote a book which the exam board recommends as I haven't taught the topic for several years.

However, I have to agree with the previous poster and getting more experience, whether as a maternity cover or supply, etc. It will give you more knowledge about exams, etc., which then you could use for exam marking.

Good luck!

6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Er, IGCSE and IB aren't that differentfrom GCSE and A level. It won't be that, imo. If a shortage subject, should walk into a job. If not, just keep applying. Though you might have to take a much lower salary than you are used to. It could be that they just want the cheapest. So don't feel it is you.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Six interviews isn't that many so you must be prepared to keep going and not give up. Don't let these set backs erode your confidence as yodaami2 says it could be schools are just looking for a cheap option.

You need to try to be selective as well as where you apply and do your research carefully as you don't want to end up in school where it is mismanaged.

The conditions in schools and how they are run are very different now to than it was 10 years ago. The behaviour in some can be challenging and the rising class sizes are two main things you will need to get a grip with in your return to teaching in the UK.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I would agree that there is little difference between iGCSEs and GCSEs but there is a massive difference between IBs and A-levels (I teach both) and don't forget the big changes to both GCSEs and A-levels in the last few years, which would be discussed (or should be) at interview!