1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

problem with teaching assistant

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by chloelsmith1992, Jul 2, 2015.

1. chloelsmith1992

chloelsmith1992 New commenter

I'm having real problems with my ta. Was fine at the start even though I was new as she would help me learn the ropes etc. But now every time I ask her to do something for me (things that are manageable, and things she should be doing according to her contract and job description. Every time I ask her to do something she looks at me like a piece of ***, and is very rude in her response. Then all of a sudden she will be smiley with me but still show hostile actions. She throws things around in front of the children (were in reception). She never has a problem if one of my partner teachers ask her to do something but she's full time in my class room. I ask her to do tasks with the children which she huff's about, she rarely photocopies, etc. She tries to direct me in fact. I have spoken to SLT who understand and she is being moved out of my class next year. It's so frustrating as she tries to take over everything in my class. I'm posting on here as I just don't know what to do. I have tried it all, talking to her and ignoring the behaviour but nothing works. It's so much more chilled when she's not in. 2 more weeks to go!!!!

2. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

If you genuinely can't think of any reason for her behaviour and you've tried talking to her openly but tactfully, I would just count the days until the end of term. It's a shame, but you can't win them all.

The only other thing you could try is speaking to her line manager to see whether he/she has any idea what is going on.

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Remind her that you are in charge. Politely say that you appreciated her help and ideas when you first came but now you need to be the decision maker. I would pull her up about the throwing...remind her that she is a role model. Leave her a jobs list - acceptable at this time of year and if she huffs say sweetly " Is there a problem Miss B? "

There are only two weeks left I agree with Underachiever - count down the days. Buy her a small gift even if you don't want to as she helped you in the beginning. Perhaps she enjoyed leading you and now you have found your feet she doesn't like it. Some TAs can be very bossy. Personally I have always carried out my duties whether I wanted to or not. I find it quite difficult to manage some of the TAs when I'm in charge as two are huffy but one is lovely and always willing. I wonder what they would say if they could see themselves!

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The most worrying part of the post is the line which states ' SLT understand and she is being moved out of my class next year '. If she is being grossly and obviously unprofessional then it / she needs to be dealt with with challenge , support ( if required ) and monitoring. The ' personality' cannot be allowed to dictate . What happens next time ? It seems to me that her line manager is not up to tackling the issue - not unknown in many settings. It does everyone a disservice in merely moving someone around and if the SLT felt in your case that you also would have benefitted from some additional guidance / strategies in directing this person they again also are to be found wanting.

5. chloelsmith1992

Thanks for your replies. Slt have told informed me that her move is nothing to do with me. Suppose iv just got to grin and bear it for 2 weeks. It's annoying as this is supposed to be a nice time of year, when all data and reports have been submitted, yet I'm walking on egg shells in my own classroom. What's worse is that a 1to1 ta I manage is also following in her footsteps. I have been told that I line manage her... so I'm not sure what I could do about her. I want her out of my class!

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Will the 1-1 TA not move on with the child she supports in September? It can be very difficult if you have more than one TA in a class and one is a very 'strong' personality - others can feel intimidated into following her example. Count down the days now!

7. chloelsmith1992

Yeah the 1to1 is moving up to year one. She even said to me once after I'd told her about an activity I want her to do "are we allowed to do this? Not sure if Mrs B would want us to do this." I was so shocked and just said "what do you mean? Of course we are... I planned this lesson!" Grrrrr 2 more weeks!!!!!!

8. cally4

cally4 New commenter

I have a similar problem and I really dont know what to do either as my TAs arent moving on. One of them was fab in the early part of the term but since she has been trained to provide cover more she is now struggling to return to class in a supporting role. When she does cover my class she is changing my planning and saying she thought of a better idea or it didnt work. I have no issue with staff using their initiative to go back steps or add a challenge if something they are asked to do needs that, I expect them to say, tiger gp found this a challenge or x found this easy so I asked them to do.... I find it insulting in a way as I work so hard to plan lessons. If I ask her to do routine tasks such as setting up or washing up she huffs and puffs and it doesnt get done as she was too busy for some reason. I never ask anyone to do anything I am not prepared to do myself, including changing nappies etc. When she was outside the other day she complained to my colleague about it saying shes just inside chatting! I was talking to the key stage leader about a parent, it wasnt idle gossip. I feel I am having to justify everything I do and to make matters worse she is influencing one of the newer TAs who is now querying everything I ask her to do now. I never seem to know where they are and I know its been picked up by SLT who asked me about my managing staff and reminded me that I need to be using staff effectively. I felt awful. I dont want to create bad feeling but I need to find a polite way of reminding them that I am the one with accountability and I am the one who is the trained teacher. I completely acknowledge the experience and training of the TA and HLTAs in school but they are not the teacher and I feel upset that I had considered them friends as well as colleagues and this is now happening. I would appreciate any tips.

9. chloelsmith1992

That sounds exactly like my position! We shouldn't have to justify ourselves to the TAs, in their contracts is states that they will do the tasks we give them as we see fit. So why the huffing and puffing? It really grates on me. I have now gone for the abrupt attitude so that I am doing my job and she is doing hers. She made a subtle comment earlier today at lunch in front of the rest of the staff that there is a time and a place to be abrupt and my thoughts were "yeah in work when im asking you to do your job effectively." I feel for you that they're not moving on, I really do. My 1:1 just sits and stares at me and then mouths to me across the room "are you okay?" Yes I'm perfectly fine thank you. She might mean well but considering she has taken a leaf out of the TAs book I can't help but think she's doing it in a sly way. 3 MORE DAYS!!!!!!

10. chloelsmith1992

Also all jobs you ask her to complete should be done to the highest standard! Things shouldn't never get done.

11. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

'in their contracts is states that they will do the tasks we give them as we see fit.'

As you can see from my earlier post, I'm very sympathetic to the plight of teachers with truculent support staff, but this comment grates a little. It makes support staff sound like skivvies, rather than junior partners. I guess it's the end of a long year.

12. chloelsmith1992

Underachiever, why has it upset you? It genuinely does say that in their contracts. I never ask the TAs to do any jobs that I wouldn't do myself and I ask them to do the things that are acceptable RE their contracts and job descriptions. I don't see them as skivvies at all. All I want is for them to do their jobs properly and to a high standard ?