1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with referençes

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mirigirl, May 11, 2020.

1. mirigirl

mirigirl New commenter

Can anyone help? The application form I’m filling in asks for two references. There is no problem with a reference from my current employer. My last employer was very happy to give me a reference for my current job (4 years ago), but the Head of that school has moved on and I don’t know where to. I have contacted a colleague I am in touch with to see if she can give me a clue, but what else can I do? Application is due Friday!
    Thank you very much for any help...

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't panic!

You are thinking that you must have references from different schools. But supposing you had been at your current school for 12 years...

Of course you can have two referees from your current school. Unless the form specifically says you cannot, something I've never seen.

So you need to contact, fast, someone else from your current school and ask if they would be your referee.

You did remember to ask your Head, didn't you, not just put him/her on the form?

And you do realise that you *must* have your Head?

So now think who else would be a good person to ask. Your HoD, HoY, a DHT, a KS co-ordinator, even in Primary someone teaching a parallel class with whom you work closely.

All done and dusted!

Keep safe, everyone

3. install

install Star commenter

Use your line manager as well as your 2nd referee or a Head of Dept who can vouch for your work.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. mirigirl

mirigirl New commenter

Thank you Theogriff and Install. Yes, Theogriff, I have spoken to my Head, but thank you for the warning. I know it’s important.

i have a few people in my current school I can approach and I’ll do that today. I also now have contact details for my head of year in my last school (a 4 form entry school) and my phase leader from the one before (who is now teaching in my last school). Any suggestions on who would be best from that selection?

Thank you again.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Better current school than 4 years ago. Someone who knows your work now.

Your line manager is probably the best, and it is anyway courteous to speak to them about a possible move.

Stay safe everyone

agathamorse likes this.
  6. mirigirl

mirigirl New commenter

Super, thank you. Both my current line managers are fine with it and will give me a reference. Thanks for your help!

agathamorse and TheoGriff like this.