1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with references

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by cavanagd, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I'm still waiting to hear back from my potential referee. I'm nearly certain he will agree to give me a reference, I just happen to know that he rarely checks his emails. Considering that haste is of the essence for me, would it be possible to actually apply over the next couple of days and list my referee's seperately?

2. I'm still waiting to hear back from my potential referee. I'm nearly certain he will agree to give me a reference, I just happen to know that he rarely checks his emails. Considering that haste is of the essence for me, would it be possible to actually apply over the next couple of days and list my referee's seperately?

3. You should always get confirmation from references that they will do it before listing them.

There's this wonderful invention called a telephone.
    If you know someone rarely checks their emails and you know you really need a prompt response you should definitely try to get access to one of these telephone thingies.

So instead of waiting around for days/weeks waiting on an email response... you will know in the time it takes you to day...

"Hi , Would you be willing to be a reference for my application to a PGCE course?"

..then it's just a case of putting their details in.
    Or if the person says no... now you know and don't waste any more times waiting and can hunt down a different reference.

4. Definitely chase them up like uptheranch just said. Mine took a good nagging! I have a feeling there is a deadline when you have to submit your application by to get considered the same as others. This may have passed already so you may want to check, or others on here may know more. Of course still apply, just wanted to let you know! Good luck

5. I wouldn't wait any longer - get it sorted ASAP. I got my place last year but I was helping a friend with their application for Biology for this year. She applied in Dec and her reference confirmed he would do the reference in late Dec. She emailed him every week and he said he'd do it every time, then last week she did her daily check on GTTR and found her course had 'no vacancies'. She was devastated.

6. Sorry, realised the ending didn't make much sense!

7. You don't understand. I don't have his personal phone number. I could try his office number but that won't be much good - this chap always seem to be in the other part of the country at any time. He's a little eccentric.

I should probably say that I only rate my chances at about 10% at even getting in somewhere at this late stage. I left it very late as I was exploring my options. Realistically I'll probably have to wait until next year, and make an early application. So mostly this entire exercise is just that.