1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with PC - help needed please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by margie2, Dec 29, 2011.

1. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Hi, it's me and my problems again...

Over an hour ago, I had an accident with the PC in that I deleted Favourites by mistake and in my panic probably fiddled with functions I shouldn't have touched... Surfie kindly helped me to restore favourites. However, something must have happened as I've inherited this Bing thing in the process when I google something, and I don't like it at all. I still have the Google Chrome icon on my desktop.

For instance, now I cannot save a pic from the Internet onto my desktop, it just does not give me the option. In fact, I've tried via Google but I still cannot get the option to save a pic (and probably a document - haven't checked yet) onto desktop.

Could s.o here tell me how I can save a pic or doc onto the desktop?

2. Do you mean just to store it there or to use it as your desktop piccy.

If the latter right mouse click and select 'set as desktop background'.

3. margie2

margie2 New commenter

No, this is what I mean:

I open a picture. I right-click on Save image as. In the Save as options I get: Favourites. Libraries (Documents/Music/etc.). Homegroup. Computer (OS/HP Revovery/etc.). Network. But I don't get Desktop whereas before my "PC accident" 2 hours ago I had that option.

4. Have you tried doing a system restore back to yesterday?

5. Oh!
    If it is not in your Favourites bit (were it is in mine) have you tried right mouse on the favourites star icon and selected restore favourites?
    I'm off to see how I can add desktop to mine... back shortly!

6. OK. Go into any folder. Then using the breadcrumbs/header bar thingy you can go back as far as Libraries normally. Click on that and you will see Desktop, select as you can any other file, then right mouse the icon and add current to Favourites.
    I hope that makes sense.

7. margie2

margie2 New commenter

gosh no, I'd have no idea how to do that. A part from the sudden and irritating disappearance of a Save on Desktop function in Save As, the rest seems as before (and I've just found that if I click on Favourites in Save as, it gives me the option to save on Desktop, a bit convoluted though, so I'd prefer to have Save on Desktop in Save as).

How do you do a System Restore? (and should I really attempt it?! I'm c*** at ICT)

8. If you've done a work round then i wouldn't bother....but for future reference..

Start...right click computer...select properties...system protection.
    If turned on it can restore Windows to a time when it was working properly.

9. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks a lot Pobble and Bauble.

Pobble, I followed your patch and managed to add Desktop in Save as (it took me a good while to understand what you meant by "use the Breadcrumbs bar"...). I've ended up with TWO desktop icons under Favourites in the Save as section but never mind, two is much better than none!

Bauble, OK, you're right, I wont restore but I had a look at your path, thanks very useful. If one day I had to restore Windows, the bit I'd have to change in Protection Settings is click on HP-Recovery (it is on OFF at the minute). What I've got in Protection Settings is OS = ON and HP Recovery = OFF.

10. You could always delete one of them, righ mouses are wonderful things [​IMG]

Sorry about the breadcrumb thingy.... I have no idea what they are called these days, but in the days before WYSIWYG that is what we called the command string that contained the location of a file.

11. margie2

margie2 New commenter

oh, and how to get rid of this Bing?

Before my mini PC accident this morning, when I clicked on the Google Chrome icon on my desktop and then entered something in the addy bar (say Tennis), the results were from Google. Now, I have to go through this Bing Search (I can still use Google.com, the old one, but I'd like to go back to the default Google I had this morning).

Not sure I'm making much sense...

12. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Pobble, I'm now questioning any of my mouse move, there was no Delete, just Remove, and I wasn't sure I should click on it - I have, thanks to you and there's just one left!

All right, I see about the breadcrumbs (but WTH is WYSIWYG???)

Now, do you have a tip to replace this Bing Search with a proper Google as default (previous post)?

13. Top of the page might be a Toolbar which should have Tools, bottom of list shoul dbe Options. Set Homepage and have a play with anything else you feel like changing!

14. What You See Is What You Get
    As in the screen you are seeing now.
    Before that was invented you only ever saw a screeful of command code and only 'professionals' had computers - I worked for a typesetter as proof reader and setter. I feel really old now!

15. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks so much Pobble, I've managed to get rid of Bing, brilliant.

16. [​IMG] No problem.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Any chance you could go back in time and apply the same procedure to..

[​IMG]

;-)

18. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Going back to Bauble's path on how to restore Windows (just in case, so I know how to do it). Earlier today, Bauble wrote:

"Start...right click computer...select properties...system protection. If turned ON it can restore Windows to a time when it was working properly"

I went to have a look and, in System Protection, in the Protection Settings box, my current status is: HP Recovery OFF and OS = ON. So do I understand correctly that, in order to restore Windows, I'd have to change HP Recovery to ON?

19. HP recovery will do the same thing as System Restore..ie. put your pc back to a point in time when it worked properly. I don't have any experience of HP Recovery having only used System Restore to cure problems. So I would wait and see if there are any HP users about who have.

20. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks Bauble. In the meantime, as everything's working fine now, I won't change anything!