1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Problem with jealousy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LaureRichis, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I would think most of us have experienced jealousy/envy to a greater or lesser degree and families relationships often trigger these feelings in the best of us.
    The secret is in how you manage these feelings - you make a choice about whether to express or hide these feelings from other people.
    Have you spoken to your mum since your disagreement?
    Don't be too hard on yourself!

2. I have apologised to mum and told her how much I regret my reactions and words - there are lots of tears on both sides and I know that this will take a long time to heal because I have hurt her. We are going to try and sit down together with my brother and talk, but I know I need to talk things through with someone outside the family circle.
    Thank you all for your kind words and supportive advice

3. Though most people have these feelings they do not react the way I did - they are in control - that's why I know I need to do something. If a small thing can trigger the reaction I had then I have to change.....for everyone's benefit.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    excellent.

5. It's hormones ! I'm sure it's something you/anyone grow/s out in time. I rarely get jealous of anything these days.
    It's not a nice emotion as it is so destructive. Dunno where it comes from?

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Jealousy is all the fun you think they are having ....

7. HBF - that's exactly it! And I have thought far too much....thanks

8. Counselling would be good for this kind of thing. If you can talk through your feelings with someone who is not judging you, not interrupting and will provide analysis of the situation it can only be good. And I don't think any counsellor who said they "don't deal with that kind of thing" would be much cop, either. Jealousy is more common than you think, and irrational. I know a family who didn't speak for 30 years (going to great lenghts to avoid each other) because of it.